• Advice needed!

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Brutality

Hello everyone,

I need some advice from you guys. I am in Boston, flying in from Austin, on business in late August, when the Stones open at Fenway, and I have booked a hotel near Logan (the Four Points Sheraton).

I will need to use the T to get around,and will be coming in from Wonderland to get to Davis and then Fenway, although on separate days.

My questions are:

1. Are the trains from Wonderland regular?

2. Are they to be travelled on late at night, or should I get a cab?

3. Is the service around Boston as horrendous as I have read?

4. Surely, it can't be worse than London, where I originally come from??

5. Anything else that I should look out for/avoid/gravitate toward???

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rob

by CS

Nah, it ain't that bad - but it could be so much better easily (that's the main gripe here)

The trains from Wonderland do run regularly between roughly 5am and 12:30am.
The T is pretty much closed around 1am and the night owl service was recently cancelled - so it's gonna have to be a taxi...

If you want some stuff to check out on the T, any railfans first stop has got to be the PCC's on the Mattapan branch of the red line, still in service sixty years later. That area has a reputation to not be so nice, but those are false - I live in that area, it's very nice (Ashmont at least).

I am sure others can give some good advice as were to go on the T in Boston... any takers?

by Brutality

Thanks CS, appreciate it!

by mb41

Ok, if your coming to town and you want to see transit, yes check out the PCC cars that Danny Cohen re-built on the Mattapan line. Also get over to Harvard and ride those Flyers. Built in 1976, being propelled by 1950's Pullman GE motors. Also ride the new Neo plan 40 foot trolley buses.
Go to the Silver line waterfron/air port service. Ride a 40 footer from Harvard over here then ride the 60 foot DMA's. Ride the red line and catch a ride on the 01500/01600's Pullman built cars. Check out new North station with the green line/orange line on the same platform.

by CS

Also check out the oldest subway station in America that is ALMOST still the same way it was in 1897, Boylston on the Green Line. Park Street has been modernized.

by StevieC48

The Blue Line runs M-F Rush Hour 4min head way. Nights and weekends 10-15 min headways. (Only 4 trains on the line) The Blue Line is safe at night. Also they are one person train operation. If you want to check out the Orange Line Forest Hills end avoid the "School Rush", aswell as the Red Line Ashmont and the Mattapan Line. An non railfan thing to do is go on the DUCK BOATS, they run out of The Prudential Center and The Museum of Science. Its worth the ride. Ride the PCC's at Mattapan the last on the eastcoast. The Riverside Line on the Green Line the former Boston and Albany Right of Way. It is a relaxing ride and the Type 7's and the ocaisonal LRV realy open up and run fast. Catch the LRV's before the retire the fleet. Fenway Park is a good take in they give tours of the ball park. Any questions feel free to ask. Stevie just PM me
Last edited by StevieC48 on Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by mb41

Why only Forest Hills day time? I have to travel through the Forest every day and night :)

by Ron Newman

Forest Hills is fine anytime. I have no idea why someone would say otherwise.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Ron Newman wrote:Forest Hills is fine anytime. I have no idea why someone would say otherwise.
Maybe because the area around the southern portion of the Orange Line has a bad reputation.

I would also like to add that the northern end of the exterior Beachmont Station on the Blue Line can sometimes smells like crap because it right across the street from the Suffolk Down's stables, yes, the place where horse jockeys keep their horses before and after a horse race.

by Ron Newman

Mostly what's around Forest Hills station is greenery -- Forest Hills Cemetery, the Arboretum, Franklin Park, and the end of the Southwest Corridor linear park. Also a Massachusetts state bio lab and the West Roxbury district courthouse.

by StevieC48

Sorry Ron but during the "school rush" in the am and pm at Forest Hills I hear at least on or two fights break out in the station or on the train between the school kids.

by dudeursistershot

I've seen drug deals go down at Forest Hills. It's not a very safe place.
  by Cosmo

Like the ones in the movies? :-D You know, where the dudes in flashy cloths show up in one caddilac, and the dudes in dark suits and sunglasses all show up in annother caddy? :wink: (HAR!- sorry, I had to go there!) I remembr back in the 80's when that area was realy dangerous!
  by dudeursistershot

Cosmo wrote:Like the ones in the movies? :-D You know, where the dudes in flashy cloths show up in one caddilac, and the dudes in dark suits and sunglasses all show up in annother caddy? :wink: (HAR!- sorry, I had to go there!) I remembr back in the 80's when that area was realy dangerous!
Haha, basically, I was sitting waiting for a bus, and a guy walked past another right in front of me, they switched the objects they had in their hands, then the guy who bought the drugs (it was kind of obvious, he was wicked nervous) turned and looked at me, and I looked away as fast as I could...

by CJ

dudeursistershot wrote:I've seen drug deals go down at Forest Hills. It's not a very safe place.
Ive seen em go down @ 7am, and 3pm at ruggles, daily, with the "transit police" haha maybe 20 feet away

though in all the years i went through there, nothing ever happened!