Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1349674  by Passenger

bellstbarn wrote:You must pay fare to ride the inclined elevators ...
That station is a tourist attraction I'd pay to look around even if I weren't going anywhere.
... "token booth" ...
The only one in the system that never sold tokens? :wink:
 #1349789  by Kamen Rider

the three 63rd street stops (lex, Roosevelt, Queensbridge) opened in October 1989.

MetroCard was launched in 1994

The token was phased out in 2003.

If a booth was added to a location after that date, then it's never sold tokens ether.

For example, Willets Point has a ground level booth in front of Citi Field at the bottom of the stairs. that has never sold tokens ether.
 #1351216  by Allan

[quote="I did not notice the Retail Concession Area. The MTA website says it's behind the Station Service Center.
The ride down on the escalator made me feel slightly like I was going to pitch forward. I tried to measure the speed of the handrail in relation to the speed of the steps. It seemed the same rate. A long time ago, I was told that downward escalators had handrails that pulled people slightly back, not forward.[/quote]

I had the same feeling riding down on the escalator.

You would think that with all the money spent they would have put at least one set of escalators between mezzanine & the platform.

I do find it a shame that the MTA couldn't do something with the platform in the LIRR yard (by track 28) so they could create a shuttle service between Penn Station and Javits Center. The 7 extension does nothing for those who are coming in via LIRR/NJT?Amtrak at Penn Station. That is where a lot of people come in from. It also doesn't do much for those who will eventually be living in those high priced buildings that are going up and have to go to Penn Station. They will have to make do with the M34 SBS,
 #1351274  by railfan365

MTA can still run LIRR trains to the Hudson Yard platform. After all, the platform is there, there's a track going to it from an existing station nearby. Such a service can be established easily - even though MTA would figure out a way to make it take 5 years and cost 6 billion dollars.
 #1351323  by Allan

railfan365 wrote:MTA can still run LIRR trains to the Hudson Yard platform. After all, the platform is there, there's a track going to it from an existing station nearby. Such a service can be established easily - even though MTA would figure out a way to make it take 5 years and cost 6 billion dollars.
I think closer to 7 years and 8 billion.

The platform is rather narrow. They would have to sacrifice one storage track to make it wide enough to handle a crowd of passengers (not to mention put in staircases etc).
 #1354575  by Head-end View

First visit to the new station this afternoon. Quite an experience. Some good features and bad too. On the plus side, I like the very wide train platform, and the multiple wide stairwells leading to it though I agree with the above poster who asked why no escalators to the platform.

On the negative side, I too experienced an odd feeling riding down the long escalator thru that "tube" something like Bellstbarn described above. It was very disorienting to my sense of balance and visual perspective. Never experienced that before on an escalator. That "tube" it runs thru seemed a little claustrophobic too.

And I wondered why there is no stairwell parallel to the escalators like they have at the LIRR/34th St. entrance and at the WTC PATH Terminal. Some day one or more of those escalators will crap out and the stairs will be needed. And just having the elevators is not enough redundancy. A power failure in the station could knock both out. Then what?
 #1354803  by rr503

What is the track config south of 34th?
NYCsubway.org still hasn't updated the ones that they have.
When I was there, I think I saw a crossover just south of the station, but I was too focused on the station itself to really pay attention.