• 30th to 69th without using El

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by bfh

I take the train from NJ and the El about once a month to visit my father in the western suburbs. I've anever felt unsafe. But on Friday night, I was punched in the face by a kid on the El. No way anyone could have seen it coming - it was only 9PM, a crowded car. A group of kids got up to get off at Millbourne, and as the doors opened one of them punched me and dashed out. The group of them stood outside grinning at me as the doors closed.

Nobody asked how I was - maybe it all seemed so commonplace. One guy casually mentioned what happened to the person at the other end of his cell phone conversation.

So, understandably, I'd like to avoid the El for awhile. Is there a way to get from 30th street to 69th using, say, some combination of regional rail and trolleys?

by walt

Unfortunately there isn't much ( at least not much that would make any sense to try) --- The Route 30 Bus runs from 30th Street to 69th Street ( and seems to take a "grand tour" of West Philadelphia) You could take subway-surface Route 11 ( trolley ) all the way to its Darby terminus, then take the 113 ( bus) from Darby to 69th Street, but this would probably take you three to four times as long as the "El" ( and really isn't a credible option). Neither of these "options" will solve the problem which you faced involving the criminally unrully people, especially since the incident you described occured at Millbourne which is less than one mile from the Terminal.--- It really is a sad sign of the times.

by mannynews

Actually, just walk over to Walnut Steet and you can take Route 21 to 69th Street Terminal. It should not be TOO long of a trip outside of the rush hours along Walnut. The 21 will let you off at the North Terminal of 69th Street. Be sure the bus destination sign on the 21 indicates 69th Street terminal, as some of the buses short turn at 61st and Pine.

If you're in for a longer ride, take the 9, 27, 124 or 125 heading to Wissahickon Transfer Center on the 29th Street side of the station, at the transfer spot you can switch to route 65 which takes you directly to the south terminal of 69th street.

As the previous poster mentioned, Route 30 is also an option, but that only runs on a limited schedule from 30th Street, and takes a more winding and long route between the two points.

by jfrey40535

I hate when I hear stories like this, because I'd be willing to bet when you got to 69th Street, there were plenty of transit cops lounging around.

Anyway, depending on when you're travelling, you could also take the Paoli (R5) or Cynwyd (R6) train. If you use the Paoli line, take it to Overbrook, then transfer to the 65 bus, which runs fairly frequently. If you take the R6, take that to Bala, then catch the 65. For that matter, you could also take the other R6 Norristown to Wissahickon, and walk one block to Wissahickon Transfer and catch the 65 there, but that will add an easy 20 minutes to the trip as opposed to getting it from City Ave.

Where in the Western Burbs are you going? Another option would be to take the Elwyn train to Clifton-Aldan, and then catch the 102 trolley back to 69th Street.

by bfh

Thanks for the replies. Ultimately, I go to Drexel Hill, taking the 101, so maybe taking the R3 and then the 102 to Drexel Hill Junction would be reasonable.

by jsc

stories about young kids randomly attacking SEPTA riders have been circulating recently. The late news programs love that stuff because it seems there are fewer fires to report in the city these days. Barbarism is the sort of thing that destroys the fabric of the city faster than just about anything I can think of. Problem is, a lot of these attacks have occured on routes coming out of 69th street. From my perspective (in west philly) things are generally improving, but it seems to be at the expense of the suburbs immediately to the west.

SEPTA really ought to take this seriously and patrol the heck out of the system until these kids are caught but I haven't heard anything from SEPTA indicating that they are doing anything at all. The perception becomes just another case of SEPTA treating the passengers as though they are simply a hinderance.

by jfrey40535

It can't hurt to goto SEPTA's website and file a complaint. Just explain that the kids left and the transit police were nowhere to be found. The only time I see the cops riding is in the tunnel, and of course of July 4th when everyone gets treated like a suspect. But at least letting them know will generate a history.

by JeffK

jfrey40535 wrote:It can't hurt to goto SEPTA's website and file a complaint. Just explain that the kids left and the transit police were nowhere to be found. The only time I see the cops riding is in the tunnel, and of course of July 4th when everyone gets treated like a suspect. But at least letting them know will generate a history.
This is the kind of thing that drives riders away and keeps the suburbanites in their sport-brutality vehicles, IF they come into the city at all. VERY sad.

I'd even consider going to one of the TV stations - maybe Channel 29 since they're a bit less mainstream-media than the big 3 - and asking them about doing a story. Another possibility would be the Daily News since they have a kind of gritty approach to the news.

Unfortunately I have to recommend against approaching the Inquirer. They seem to have had a hands-off relationship with SEPTA for years.

by N.Y. State Of Mind

You can't let a coward like him change how you go about your life. If you are young like me, you should at least confront him about that incident. Anyway, if you do see him again, call 911, and have him arrested. Do whatever, but don't let him scare you away from your daily routines.

by Umblehoon

N.Y. State Of Mind wrote:If you are young like me, you should at least confront him about that incident.
Hmm... a kid with a bunch of friends sucker-punches someone at the most abandoned station on the MFL, then stand outside the train grinning at him. If that doesn't sound to you like an attempt to lure someone away from safety into a serious mugging, then I don't think you're listening hard enough. NYStateO'Mind, being young (like you and me) doesn't give us a license to be stupid -- this kid probably specifically WANTED bfh to confront him, as that way they'd get to kick the crap out of him and collect payment for the service they rendered. You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run!

bfh, I understand your trepidation, but the odds are you'll never see that kid again or encounter a similar situation again. Keep riding the el, or those punk terrorists win ;-)

by walt

JeffK wrote: This is the kind of thing that drives riders away and keeps the suburbanites in their sport-brutality vehicles, IF they come into the city at all. VERY sad.
Unfortunately, this incident didn't happen in the city. This just goes to show that hooliganism is not restricted to the city---- This incident could just as easily have happened on a Route 21 Bus at the same general location, though at least, hopefully, the bus driver would have been aware ( for all the good that would have done)

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

jsc wrote:stories about young kids randomly attacking SEPTA riders have been circulating recently. The late news programs love that stuff because it seems there are fewer fires to report in the city these days. Barbarism is the sort of thing that destroys the fabric of the city faster than just about anything I can think of. Problem is, a lot of these attacks have occured on routes coming out of 69th street. From my perspective (in west philly) things are generally improving, but it seems to be at the expense of the suburbs immediately to the west.

SEPTA really ought to take this seriously and patrol the heck out of the system until these kids are caught but I haven't heard anything from SEPTA indicating that they are doing anything at all. The perception becomes just another case of SEPTA treating the passengers as though they are simply a hinderance.

It's funny you say that. In 50 years, I see every place except The oak lanes and the greater NE becoming safe, liviable areas. While the suburbs stangnate and decline. (exo-burbs continue their blissful unawareness)

by JeffK

walt wrote: Unfortunately, this incident didn't happen in the city.
Hi Walt, unfortunately most of the people I know who are not familiar with SEPTA see anything involving the El as "city". Most of them have probably never even heard of Millbourne. Like 90% of everything in life, it's a matter of perception.

It's possibly related to the skewed perception of safety that causes some people refuse to fly, but they'll take their car on a superhighway without a second thought.

by walt

JeffK wrote:
walt wrote: Unfortunately, this incident didn't happen in the city.
Hi Walt, unfortunately most of the people I know who are not familiar with SEPTA see anything involving the El as "city". Most of them have probably never even heard of Millbourne. Like 90% of everything in life, it's a matter of perception.

It's possibly related to the skewed perception of safety that causes some people refuse to fly, but they'll take their car on a superhighway without a second thought.
Much as I hate to admit it, you're right about that. And this is not limited to people thinking about the"El". You could probably include occasional Route 11 riders--particularly if one rode from Darby, and Route 13 occasional riders from Yeadon ( where I grew up). The problem is that what are called "close in" suburbs have become extensions of the city, both in appearance and conditions, that there are not now a whole lot of differences between the two.

What people won't admit is that there is as much hooliganism in "true" suburbs now, as there is in the city. There is no real escape from bad behavior any more.

by Lucius Kwok

I have been robbed, mugged, and pick-pocketed on many transit systems, including SEPTA, BART, and Rome's subways. Most of the incidents happened in the evening or night in situations with few other people around. One incident happened in the evening at North Broad while I was waiting for the R6 Norristown to get home, so even the railroad side isn't immune. These are the things that turn people away from public transportation.

About the only response I can think of is constant police presence and security cameras everywhere. When I took the train from Temple U in the evenings, I usually noticed a police officer on the platform or in the booth at street level.

When you're in a public place, you can't let your guard down, since there will always be people to take advantage of the situation. My advice is to not let this incident bother you, but be careful and don't leave yourself open to such attacks in the future.