• 1971-era map on Red Line Car

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Otto Vondrak

When I was in Boston last week, we saw this old 1971-era map installed in this car. No Braintree, no JFK/UMASS, no Quincy Adams, Quincy Center, or Alewife extension! Neat!

http://protocol7.org/gallery2/v/Boston0 ... 6.jpg.html

-otto-

by Robert Paniagua

Yeap, I've actually seen that map myself, I've been on that car that shows it, but I didn't get the number.

01700s however, don't posses that map, the only original map 01700s posses was the one that showed the Braintree line not having the "JFK/UMASS" stop indicated, and then it was put over by a new map showing the Braintree JFK Station indication after 12/88 when the Braintree Platformk opened.

by aline1969

you can still find out of date signs in several places still. Many signs still show the E line going to Forest Hills/Arborway. Just a few years ago I found a sign that still had the A line on it.

by vanshnookenraggen

Haha yeah, I've seen that too. I think I have a pic somewhere.

by octr202

I suspect that there are several cars at any given time that have the newer maps peeled off to reveal the old one. I was just on that car shown above this weekend and saw that one, but they're not that uncommon.

One of the more interesting ones I did see was where someone had scratched off a good chunk of the south end of the Red Line on the map on an 01800, and someone had very carefully and neatly drawnback in with marker all the stations and line sections that were missing!

by RailBus63

That is the original 1971 map - as noted above, newer maps were simply stuck on, so they could be peeled off to show the older maps.

JD

by Otto Vondrak

I was pretty disappointed, most stations I visited had new system-wide decals put over the old signs... showing the new Silver Line service, and other enhancements. I figured any "old" signs were goners. I'm always looking for stations that show full A-line or E-line service, but I figure they are long gone.

-otto-

by octr202

Otto Vondrak wrote:I was pretty disappointed, most stations I visited had new system-wide decals put over the old signs... showing the new Silver Line service, and other enhancements. I figured any "old" signs were goners. I'm always looking for stations that show full A-line or E-line service, but I figure they are long gone.

-otto-
Hadn't seen any with the A Line, but the early 80's vintage maps with the E Line on them were still up all over the place until just a few months ago. They were great for us transit fans, but someone finally made a good point that maybe we shouldn't be showing a line that's been gone for nearly 20 years on maps that tourists read....

But ride the Orange Line next time you're here. The maps over the doors still show the E Line.

(Of course, the same thing that applies to the maps on the 01500s and 01600s applies to the new station maps...people are already peeling some of them off, so they should be back soon).
  by Cosmo

I wish I'd caught this thread earlier so I could say something like:
"WOW! It's amazing what you find once you wash away a little grime!"
Or something like that. :P
Back when I lived in the Boston area and rode the T on a semi-regular basis (80's thru early 90's) those signs were all fairly new. Talk about a blast from the past! :-)
Cosmo

by joebass123

yeah i've seen the former e line map at washington street on the b line and i think it's also at resevior station too, if i'm not mistaken.

by F-line to Dudley via Park

Plenty of Arborway maps are still up. The T replaced most (but not all...there's still quite a few out there) of the system-wide maps that show the E elbowing over to Forest Hills, but on most Green Line outbound stops (Park St. on the red line platform, Arlington, Copley, Prudential, possibly Boylston and Symphony as well) there are separate bolt-on maps showing just the available Green Line outbound stops past the station you're at. That includes Arborway, which is done up in white outline to show suspended service. Even has all the station names there. I doubt they'll take those down anytime soon because they're still fully useful save for the suspended stops (which are hard to confuse), and it also shows the route of the 39 bus...which you naturally need to plot all the way to Forest Hills along the same streets and general stop alignment as E Arborway. So it's still valid for that. They redid all the system-wide maps to show the Silver Line...obviously for political reasons to further its "realness" as a rapid transit line. No such considerations for the Green Line-only signs. Some of the stations past Copley like Kenmore also show Arborway on that map, but since you can't access the E from there it doesn't list station names...you just see the map with dots and the clearly-marked white suspended service markings).

I know the last sign that had the A line stickered over was removed from Copley a couple years ago. I think people kept trying to pry off the sticker. Was a weird-looking old spider map like the ones on the NetTransit website...doesn't look at all like the more typical modern ones at all. There's still old system maps on some of the old Green Line trolleys--either Boeings or earliest 1986-vintage T7's--hidden behind the advertising frames right behind the front cab that show the pre-1987 Orange Line with the El stops and have some outdated station names like "Auditorium" instead of Hynes). All of the in-car spider maps on the Blue and Orange line cars also still have "Auditorium"...in every single car, although they did update the rest for the SW Corridor and Braintree extensions (Arborway's still there, though).

by RailBus63

Maps showing the 'A' line were rare. Until rebuilding in the 1980's, the lighted system maps inside the 01400's were the 1967 version with the A line and no Quincy extension.

In my opinion, the rarest system map was the one from the early 1970's which showed 'North Braintree' and 'South Braintree' on the Red Line. Only a few stations had those.

Regarding the newer maps - I thought the MBTA's plan was to show the 15 'key bus routes' on the system maps. I believe this is an excellent idea, as many of those routes services areas without rail service.

JD

by SbooX

RailBus63 wrote: Regarding the newer maps - I thought the MBTA's plan was to show the 15 'key bus routes' on the system maps. I believe this is an excellent idea, as many of those routes services areas without rail service.

JD
I think they already do. Isn't there about 15 different Silver Line routes? :wink:

by Red Wing

Now if they could update the maps at North Station to show Rowley and Newburyport.