• 1971-era map on Red Line Car

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Otto Vondrak

Someone did a fine job updating the Commuter Rail map with magic marker at North Station.
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by theseaandalifesaver

my friends and i have peeled a couple of those maps off.
octr202 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:I was pretty disappointed, most stations I visited had new system-wide decals put over the old signs... showing the new Silver Line service, and other enhancements. I figured any "old" signs were goners. I'm always looking for stations that show full A-line or E-line service, but I figure they are long gone.

-otto-
Hadn't seen any with the A Line, but the early 80's vintage maps with the E Line on them were still up all over the place until just a few months ago. They were great for us transit fans, but someone finally made a good point that maybe we shouldn't be showing a line that's been gone for nearly 20 years on maps that tourists read....

But ride the Orange Line next time you're here. The maps over the doors still show the E Line.

(Of course, the same thing that applies to the maps on the 01500s and 01600s applies to the new station maps...people are already peeling some of them off, so they should be back soon).

by Arborwayfan

The only map I ever saw in service with the watertown line on it was in one of the old 1960s Red Line cars about 1990. I think it was one of the lighted ones someone mentioned earlier; it was over a door. There was just a little pointed stub for the A line, kind of an arrow marked A Watertown, but not showing the whole line. I think it showed the other four lines. I also think that was the first time I ever really know what A had been.
  by davedeboston

Update:
While riding the red line to school about a month back (I go to Umass Boston) I saw that exact map posted on over one of the end doors in whatever car I happened to be in. It, unfortunately, did not occur to me to remember what car that was, however, in typical T fashion, the sign is still there.

As for other maps still in use that have had station names changes since their posting, all the plastic system map signs in orange line cars still refer to Auditorium on the green line. I would of course knew that immediately to be Hynes/ICA having lived here my whole life, but I am sure it might throw someone else for a loop (or a missed stop) that did not know what it is supposed to read.

by Adams_Umass_Boston

I too saw it on my ride to umass this week. Infact it was yesterday,