• Wrapped commuter train

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Hey gang, there is a wrapped commuter train on the South Side, has anyone seen it?

"The ridership campaign, launching the week of June 16th, includes a web-promo at mbta.com; billboards around the metro Boston area; a wrapped commuter rail train (a first for the MBTA) operating on south side commuter rail lines; and radio ads. All elements position the MBTA as a smart commuting choice when compared to increasing gas prices." MBTA article
  by Arborway

The photo included in that article is absolutely hysterical. Even more so when you take a peek inside the windows.

That being said, how much excess capacity is there in the system right now? Didn't Grabauskas recently gripe about his inability to pull more vehicles out of thin air to meet the surge in demand brought about by higher gas prices?
  by MassBayMC1131

it is a wrapped coach... not a whole train....
  by b&m 1566

I like the idea. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that do not think of taking public transit to save money. Seeing an Ad like that go rolling by while you sit a crossing might get people to start thinking!!!
  by Baseball Fan

Not the 1st time they have wrapped a train in advertisement. 8 years ago 3 Kawis were wrapped with an Addidas add featuring the Patriots. They were used on the Football trains for the pats games.
  by Veristek

What traincar # is that? I can only make out 7xx something on it.
  by concordgirl

I think it looks pretty cool actually! As long as it's only one per consist if they expanded the advertising campaign. The entire consist looking like that would interfere with the branding (for lack of a better term) of the purple line.
  by Veristek

concordgirl wrote:I think it looks pretty cool actually! As long as it's only one per consist if they expanded the advertising campaign. The entire consist looking like that would interfere with the branding (for lack of a better term) of the purple line.
I think the locomotive would still retain its purple stripe, plus the huge white "T" sign on the bi-level would still show its a "T" train. Just my thought.
  by concordgirl

It's all a moot point anyway bc unless they decided to put ads for paying clients on there, I'm guessing they would not want to spend the money to redecorate ;-)

Man, the South Side gets all the interesting stuff!!! :P
  by Veristek

concordgirl wrote:It's all a moot point anyway bc unless they decided to put ads for paying clients on there, I'm guessing they would not want to spend the money to redecorate ;-)

Move on down to the Southside then, Concordgirl. You know you want to, yes? (chuckle)
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what yard is that?
  by concordgirl

Veristek wrote:
concordgirl wrote:It's all a moot point anyway bc unless they decided to put ads for paying clients on there, I'm guessing they would not want to spend the money to redecorate ;-)

Move on down to the Southside then, Concordgirl. You know you want to, yes? (chuckle)
Well, I know someone in uniform who wouldn't be too thrilled with that ;-) I'd like to visit SS more, tho. There's just always going to be more going on down there. But we're both OT.... let's bring this back to the wrapped coach. Assuming there's more to say about it, that is....
  by Veristek

Gotcha, Concordgirl.

Anyways, I was wondering why they don't do a wraparound on a flat on the Northside? That way, both sections of the CR could benefit from the campaign.
  by Stmtrolleyguy

Yeah, I'd think they would try and advertise on BOTH halves of the CR. . .
At least the design for the wrap they came up with is simple, funny (in my opinion), and for once doesn't leave you scratching your head wonder what in the world the ad is for.
Might be a little hard for them to do that on a flat since the windows are right about at text level, but I'm sure they could come up with something.

It may not be best for commuters, but it seems like ridership (and crowded trains) is one of the surest ways to prove that you need more commuter rail funding.