Railroad Forums 

• Working for the MBTA

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#579290  by twentynine89

So I have had this fascination of the subway since i was really young, and recently I started looking into this again, but I was really curious to know: what's it like to work for the MBTA (obviously specifically for subway motormen/women)? I've always wanted to know this. I know it's really general, but my other questions are...which lines are motormen assigned to? Is there any designation on which line you'll operate on (green/orange/red/blue...) or does it depend on your training (like how some operate Green Line trolleys and some operate rapid-transit red/blue/orange line trains)?
 #579335  by AEM7AC920

twentynine89 wrote:So I have had this fascination of the subway since i was really young, and recently I started looking into this again, but I was really curious to know: what's it like to work for the MBTA (obviously specifically for subway motormen/women)? I've always wanted to know this. I know it's really general, but my other questions are...which lines are motormen assigned to? Is there any designation on which line you'll operate on (green/orange/red/blue...) or does it depend on your training (like how some operate Green Line trolleys and some operate rapid-transit red/blue/orange line trains)?

Can't tell you what it's like to work as a motorperson seeing that I'm not one nor do I think we have any on these forums to my knowledge but you never now. Anyways to get a job as a motorperson or streetcar operator (greenline) on the MBTA you have to be selected when the MBTA holds there job lottery which I think is every 2 yrs. I know the MBTA just had one recnetly because I had a family member be selected for streetcar service. I know the lottey ticket has different options on it for selecting the job you are looking for, streetcar (greenline) is seperate and then you have an option to select for motorman/train attendant and from there I would assume they stick you on red/orange/blue... I'm pretty sure after you have had some time there that you can move to different lines etc etc.
 #579486  by MBTA3247

The last lottery was in 2007, so the next one ought to be next summer. I wonder if they'll be able to get the web application working next time?
 #580210  by kfahy

The MBTA assigns you to a line based on their personnel needs only. There is no consideration for what might suit any individual employee. They may hire you in one area, but assign you to another - 4 times a year. Generally you move between the Red, Blue, and Orange Lines interchangeably. There is less movement on the Green Line.
 #580297  by twentynine89

Oh...do they ever assign any motormen based on experience as to who drives the subway cars? Or is it all at random?
 #580532  by kfahy

Your ability to choose assignments is hampered/aided by seniority in the company. In your early years you can be bounced around the system with no personal consideration. The longer your there the better your options can become.
 #580632  by The Collector at Court St

OK, enough with guessing.

When you're lucky enough to get called in the lottery, you go though some testing.... maybe 6 months (or less) later, you'll get called for your physical. Then, you get called to report. If you picked Train Attendant, you'll go to the Rapid Transit (Red, Orange, Blue.) If you picked Streetcar, you go to the Green line. Buses go to Buses, Rail Repair goes to Track Gang.

If you go to Rapid, they will ASK you ( with one exception in recent history,) what line you would like. You will start out as a CSA, where they can send you anywhere on the system. When your line (Blue, Orange, Red) needs you as a Train Attendant, Motorperson, etc., you will report to the line. You'll work as a part-timer for anywhere between 3 months to 2-3 years, until a fulltime piece opens up. You will likely go to the Red Line (as you go full-time based on your badge number which was assigned to you when you started working.) When a position opens on your line, you will return where you will likely stay for the remainder of you career.

This scenario could change as the company is doing some things that could prevent people from staying on their selected lines. But this will be well into the future, if ever they could get away with it. (Yeah, the Union can be a good thing!)

Hope this answers your Q's.
Last edited by The Collector at Court St on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #582038  by StevieC48

LOL Collector didnt think they HAD train attendnts on the BLUE LINE any more, did 589 win its arbitration that I didnt know about???? :wink:
 #582202  by The Collector at Court St

Actually, on Rapid, everyone will now have to qualify as a motorperson. You might still pick work as a Train Attendant, but you have to be able to drive the train. This includes full-timers from the Orange and Blue working on the Red. This was never done before.
 #582475  by StevieC48

That is good finaly a smart idea from the T. I remember when you were a Train Attendant you had to wait to move up to motorman and it would take a while for the testing and the training. Ahh the old days. :wink:
 #587348  by Disney Guy

Is it necessary to:
1. Work for the T in other activities such as station attendant or maintenance person,
2. Know other T employees personally
in order to secure a position as train operator?

3. Would amateur experience, i.e. Seashore Trolley Museum help?
 #588017  by The Collector at Court St

1. Yes, very likely as a CSA.
2. No, but a friend can help guide you through a new situation.
3. Yes, it can help you reading rail and general handling of the train..... and no, if you come in thinking the T does things the same way as a group of volunteers at a museum or if you come in thinking that you already know it all.
 #588196  by mbta1051dan

Sorry for the dumb question (I'm a country/CR boy, don't know much about the real "T"), but what exactly is a CSA? I am thinking about applying in the next job lottery next summer, as I will be 18. Also, could I do it part time while going tosay a community college for example?

-Dan
 #588421  by The Collector at Court St

As far as trying to go to school while working part-time, when you first come on, you will likely be on the "list." You will call for your next day's work around 2 pm. You can be assigned a 6 hour shift at 5am, 7pm or anywhere in between. You may also be assigned someone's regular work which may be a split (ie. 10a-12n, break, 6p-10p.)

This may or may not happen every time you change classification. You may have been a CSA for awhile, then they call you for the trains.... back on the list. Also, when you go full-time.....back on the list.

BTW, kiss your friends goodbye. You won't see many Fri/Sat nights for 7-10 years. Same thing with family holidays, birthdays. The job is not for everybody!