Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by trackml2

The LIRR lost one of its own last night.

A conductor lost his life in an accident last night. I wanted to acknowledge him while maintaing his families privacy. He will be missed.

by LIRailfan79

does anyone have any information on who it was or what happened?
clem?

by trackml2

I figured this was not the place for that. I merely wanted to acknowledge him for those who knew him.

please respect his family's privacy. I did jot intend to start a chat thread.

Thanks

by Long Island 7285

Have respect for the family and there priviticy
may the lord be with him and his family

by LIRailfan79

priviticy???

ok, nevermind who it was. i'm really more interested in what the nature of the accident was. if i had to guess i would say it most likely involved the third rail. i could be wrong though.

i wonder how many conductors are killed each year on the LIRR.

by trackml2

non-RR related

by BMC

Tragic accident, young Condr., married with family

by Robert Paniagua

Uhhh, not too good. I hope we learn or lessons from this tragedy, I wonder if he fell off a train car or something...

by LIRailfan79

i don't think it happened on the RailRoad, a previous post said non-RR related. it was probably a car accident or something.

on a related note, does anyone have any idea how many LIRR employees lose their life working on the railroad each year?

by Fla East Coast Chris

Hi,
I liked this person alot, worked out of Speonk. Copied the paperwork from me on a Sunday morning. Always asked me how many days until the next Florida trip. This person was tops in my book. Always grabbed the card from me on the Eastbound, smiling. I saw him last on Sunday in Speonk yard. I had a road day and he yelled to the engr and I "what the hell is he doing here"!!!!!! He came over and said hey Chris what's up??? The last few days those words keep going and going over in my mind.. I'll say it again A nice guy indeed.... Thank you!!!
Chris

by Clemuel

The Long Island has few employee faitalities and for many years was among the safest railroads for employees. Those killed on the job perhaps total 1-3 every ten years.

Unfortunately, as throughout the industry, the deaths are almost always caused by human error, simple inattention or violation of basic safety rules by employees with less than five years or 15-20 years experience.

Clem