Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by p42

Is there any possible expansion of the internet onboard service to other trains
  by Ken V

VIA does plan to expand the WiFi service to all VIA 1 cars used in corridor service and to more stations but will start charging about $10 extra for the service. There are no plans to go beyond Quebec City - Windsor.
  by cpr_trains

WiFi is nice and all, but man alive - couldn't the VIA folks in Montreal have come up with a more aesthetically pleasing method of mounting antennae on the top of the VIA 1 coaches? For a city and a people that are so looks-concious when it comes to fashion and style, they've never managed to get it right when it comes to railway aesthetics. As if those A/C boxes on the top of the F40-PHs weren't bad enough.

*joking but somewhat serious*
  by Ken V

Today VIA has announced plans to expand their wireless internet (Wi-Fi) service to every car on every train in the Quebec City - Windsor corridor. The service will also be expanded to include all 7 Panorama Lounges and a total of 22 stations. This will be a first for any form or transportation in North America.

Details are in a Canada Newswire news release
  by marquisofmississauga

cpr_trains wrote:WiFi is nice and all, but man alive - couldn't the VIA folks in Montreal have come up with a more aesthetically pleasing method of mounting antennae on the top of the VIA 1 coaches? For a city and a people that are so looks-concious when it comes to fashion and style, they've never managed to get it right when it comes to railway aesthetics. As if those A/C boxes on the top of the F40-PHs weren't bad enough.

*joking but somewhat serious*
I guess I'm more of a keen rail traveller than a trainspotter because I care more about the interiors of the trains than the external appearance. I concede that a pleasing external appearance is a nice bonus.

On another board, someone made the comment that the Park car at the end of the Renaissance Ocean "looked silly." I bet if that person actually bought a ticket to ride the train he would very much appreciate having the amenities provided by the Park car. Although the appearance of the rest of the train from the Park car dome is unusual (given the difference in size between Budd and Renaissance cars) I wouldn't call it silly.

by natethegreat

Hopefully Amtrak can get the money and follow in VIA's footsteps and start providing Wi-fi. Although hopefully not for $10. That seems a bit expensive.

by Ken V

VIA Rail wrote:Connected All The Way

MONTREAL, February 27, 2006 - VIA Rail Canada today officially launched its Wireless Internet (Wi-Fi) access service on board its trains, in several stations and in Panorama lounges in the Québec City-Windsor corridor - a first in North America. The service is being offered starting today to all travellers between Montreal and Québec City and in many VIA 1 class cars between Montreal-Toronto. By the end of this year, all VIA 1 and Comfort class travellers will be able to access the Internet on all VIA intercity trains in Ontario and Quebec.
Full press release at Canada Newswire.