Railroad Forums 

• Winter Park Express: Denver-Winter Park Ski Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1615346  by Arborwayfan

I think the Winter Park platform is just along the main track, with no siding, so I think the train waits elsewhere. But I'm not sure.

This brings up a question: Why does the ski train not also stop at the Fraser station, since it has to go right past it in both directions? Does the ski area where it stops subsidize operations and not want anyone to use it to get to/from Fraser?
 #1615352  by ExCon90

I read somewhere that that's exactly it -- the rail fare paid by the passengers doesn't cover Amtrak's costs, and the resort makes up the difference to get them out there.
 #1617513  by lootingtimber

ExCon90 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:46 pm I read somewhere that that's exactly it -- the rail fare paid by the passengers doesn't cover Amtrak's costs, and the resort makes up the difference to get them out there.
Hello,
I thought I read somewhere that the government provides a subsidy for the fare, I am not sure of the percentage but I think the government pays like half and the passengers pay the rest.
 #1633979  by Jeff Smith

https://media.amtrak.com/2023/11/amtrak ... 24-season/
Amtrak “Winter Park Express” Booking Now for 2024 Season

Service returns Jan. 12 and offers 40 roundtrips between Denver and one of North America’s top ski resorts

WINTER PARK, Colo. — Tickets for the Amtrak Winter Park Express – the “ski train” between Denver and the base of the slopes at Winter Park Resort – are now on sale for the 2024 season. Service will be provided every Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting the weekend of Jan.12-14 through the weekend of March 29-31. And new for 2024 and due to popular demand, additional holiday service will be offered on Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Monday, Jan. 15) and Presidents’ Day (Monday, Feb. 19) as well as two “bonus Thursday” roundtrips (March 14 & 21).

A total of 40 roundtrips will operate this season, seven more than during the 2023 season.

“The Winter Park Express ski train is a beloved tradition for Colorado and our guests from around the globe. We’re excited to kick off the 2024 season for people looking for a unique experience and a way to get to the slopes that’s more scenic, sustainable and relaxing than getting in car and driving,” said Sky Foulkes, president of Winter Park Resort.

“Amtrak is proud to announce a new season of the Winter Park Express – the seventh year of our ongoing partnership with the Winter Park Resort,” said Amtrak Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer Eliot Hamlisch. “This ‘ski train’ is another example of Amtrak’s commitment to enhancing the travel experience for riders across the country, bringing travelers to exciting destinations safety, affordably, and sustainably.”

Bring your skis and snowboards as a carry-on for no additional charge. While onboard, you’ll enjoy a trip in Coach class featuring wide, reclining seats with a big picture window, ample legroom and no middle seat. The train also features a bi-level Sightseer Lounge – the social hub of the train – offering panoramic views of the Rocky Mountains from upstairs and café service with snacks and drinks for sale downstairs.

Tickets between Denver Union Station (station code: DEN) to Winter Park Resort (station code: WPR) can be purchased at Amtrak.com/WinterParkExpress and the Amtrak app. The train departs Denver at 7 a.m. and arrives at the resort at 9 a.m. The return trip departs Winter Park Resort at 4:30 p.m. and arrives in Denver at 6:40 p.m. All times Mountain. Denver Union Station is served by the Regional Transportation District’s commuter trains from Denver International Airport as well as light rail, local or intercity buses, ride-sharing services, and taxis.

The Winter Park Express offers many everyday discounts when booking – starting with kids (aged 2-12) riding for 50% off. Plus, discounted fares are available for seniors, students, members of the military and customers with a disability.

Customers in groups of up to eight can purchase Winter Park Express tickets at Amtrak.com/WinterParkExpress and the Amtrak app. Customers in groups of 9-14 can call 800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) to make a reservation. Groups of 15 or more—including requests for exclusive railcar occupancy—should fill out this form. For more information about group travel, call 800-USA-1GRP (1-800-872-1477) weekdays 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. MT, or email [email protected].

New this season, Winter Park Resort is debuting the Wild Spur Express, a new six-person high-speed lift on Vasquez Ridge. Four new pop-up dining outposts will make it easier for hungry skiers and riders to grab a quick bite and get back to enjoying Winter Park’s more than 3,095 acres of terrain. A new taproom in the Village, Sundog Taproom, gives guests a casual, centralized gathering spot after a fun day on the slopes. Lift tickets and other passes can be purchased directly from the Winter Park Resort website.

Winter Park Resort is an Alterra Mountain Company property and its Ikon Pass welcomes skiers and riders to a community of inspiring mountain destinations across the Americas, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan

Additional service to Winter Park Resort this winter is provided via the Amtrak California Zephyr — offering a connecting shuttle bus to Winter Park Resort (station code: WPS) at Fraser, Colo. Those interested in travel to or from Winter Park Resort on other days of the week can ride the California Zephyr, operating daily between Chicago and the San Francisco Bay via Denver and Salt Lake City, with service to Winter Park Resort (WPS) via a shuttle connection at Fraser, Colo. Be sure to enter station code ‘WPS’ if you are booking the shuttle.
 #1636547  by Jeff Smith

Service starts: 9News
'All Aboard': Amtrak Winter Park Express begins service for the season

WINTER PARK, Colo. — The Mile High City's train ride to the slopes is back.

The Amtrak Winter Park Express began operating for the season Friday morning, departing Denver Union Station at 7 a.m.

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis was on the train's first trip Friday morning.

The "ski train" between Denver Union Station and the base of the slopes at Winter Park Resort will operate 40 roundtrips this winter, seven more than last year.

Service will be provided every Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting the weekend of Jan. 12- through the weekend of March 29-31. Additional holiday service will be offered on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Presidents Day.
 #1636565  by ryanwc

We were at Winter Park a week ago. I considered the ski train, but our trip ran Wednesday to Sunday, so it didn't work. Also considered the Cal Zephyr, but my wife felt it was just too much time (21 hours from Chicago). If improvements related to expanded service west of Chicago ever allowed a faster trip, I could probably convince her that arriving with time to ski after sleeping on the way made it worth it.

Our flight back was a disaster. 2.5 hours of baggage check lines double-wrapped around the Southwest area of DIA because their baggage conveyor was down, and we only made our flight because it was delayed an hour and a half waiting to load as much luggage as could get their. None of our bags made our flight. Four were delivered to us the following afternoon and the other three the next night.

Flying, including driving from Winter Park to DIA, was about 11 hours of travel. But of course, if we took Amtrak, we'd need to get to Union Station, which would add another hour. The Zephyr leaves Chicago at 2:00. If it left at 5:00, and still arrived at Fraser before noon, that would be much better.

When I was researching, I didn't recognize that the Zephyr stops in Fraser, but not WP, whereas the ski train stops at WP, but not Fraser. I had noticed the idea of shuttling, but thought it was from WP train to WP bus shuttle station.

The usefulness of the ski train seems mostly limited to Denverites, given it's sparse service and downtown terminus. If it were just me and my wife, maybe, but with the kids, getting from DIA to Denver Union Station with skis and luggage adds just enough to logistics that I can't see doing it. (Or rather, can't see convincing my wife.)

There's so much traffic on the road over the Berthoud Pass and so little chance of expanding the roadway, and yet the train and bus options are really not great. To meet up with us after arriving late, my nephew took a $150 Uber (after tip).
Last edited by ryanwc on Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1636584  by west point

lordsigma12345 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:40 pm For those coming from outside the local area on the zephyr or arriving on a day the WPE doesn’t run I believe they run a shuttle bus from Fraser Amtrak daily during the ski season.
That shuttle is now in the reservation system. If you write in winter park ski on non ski train days the shuttle is shown.
 #1636622  by Gilbert B Norman

ryanwc wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:49 pm Our flight back was a disaster. 2.5 hours of baggage check lines double-wrapped around the Southwest area of DIA because their baggage conveyor was down, and we only made our flight because it was delayed an hour and a half waiting to load as much luggage as could get there. None of our bags made our flight. Four were delivered to us the following afternoon and the other three the next night.
Mr. Ryan, how about another airline next time? AA and UA are also on the ORD-DEN route!!!

Yes, my "GF of sorts" just loves LUV (that's "that airline's" NYSE trading symbol), but she's more willing to "put up with their crud to save a buck" than am I.
 #1636857  by ryanwc

I typically fly United for business on the majority of my trips where Amtrak isn't plausible. But the price difference Chgo-Denver around New Years was significant for a family of four. And, my understanding is that the problem was the fault of the airport itself, not SW. Southwest just has the bad luck of being the biggest carrier at DIA.
 #1636906  by ryanwc

Well, I'm sure those figures haven't changed much since 2022, so SW must not be the biggest airline in Denver.

It's possible that the baggage issue we experienced primarily affected one portion of the airport. What I know is that it was the airport's system that failed, not Southwest's, but that SW was hit worst by it.
 #1637011  by John_Perkowski

electricron wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:41 am I do not understand how baggage claims at Denver International Airport has anything to do with Amtrak's Ski Train.
May I suggest taking the California Zephyr to downtown Denver instead?
Read the OPs remark: His wife said NO.