Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by benltrain

Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma Customers:
The broken utility pole at Westbury has been temporarily secured and service on the Main Line has been restored. The 8:31 train from Ronkonkoma to Penn is operating approximately 110 minutes late. Other residual delays on the Main Line are 20-30 minutes.
from mta.info

wow...

by NIMBYkiller

The wind is just unbelievable! I watched a tree in front of my house come halfway down. While walking to school, the wind got so strong it started to push me off the sidewalk.

Here's a new update:
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:05 PM

Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma Customers:
The broken utility pole at Westbury has been temporarily secured and service on the Main Line has been restored with residual delays on the Main Line of 20-30 minutes.

Port Washington Branch Customers:
Service on the Port Washington Branch has been restored with residual delays of 10-15 minutes. Service on the branch was temporarily suspended earlier due to a downed tree near Douglaston.

by benltrain

110 minutes late!

the ride doesn't even take close to that long!

did they bus or provide alternate transportation to those poor souls?

by NIMBYkiller

They had shuttle trains from Hicksville to Babylon where people would then board NYP bound trains.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Today 1/18/06, was one of the worst morning rush hours since i have been on the railroad. Because of the wind storm, there were service disruptions on the Main line, Port Jeff Branch, Oyster Bay Branch, Port washington Branch, and Long Beach branch. There were trees and power lines down all over the island. I was surprised how quickly the railroad rebounded and restored normal service by late morning. Good job all. :wink:

by badneighbor

Where is the Newsday article about the LIRR and the good job despite the wind?? ....... must be here..... on page..... uh ..... can't find it ....... uh.... :(