• WI-FI on Train to Train Commuter Rail and Subways?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by JBHUNTFAN

When I connect to Amtrak I often have to take a "Train to the Train"...and I dont want to unplug or lose data. Like MARC Martinsburg to DC Union Station to Acela to Boston then Orange line subway to North Station then MBTA Purple Line to Ayer Mass
  by The EGE

Looks like an unsolvable first world problem. Is 20 minutes without wifi on the T so bad to deal with?
  by hi55us

JBHUNTFAN wrote: I dont want to unplug or lose data
Are you saying you want it to be the same equipment the whole way? That's the only way without connecting to each trains wifi network. Perhaps you need a smartphone so you can get non-stop emails =)
  by jcepler1

What you ask is impossible currently.
Even if you were going from the Acela train to the CubAcela in Boston or Washington, you would have to unplug, since the wireless network on the Acela is different from the one in the station. It is not like cell phones where the equipment switches you from tower to tower automatically.

Commuter railroads have been very slow to adopt wifi. Subways and Metros, to my knowledge don't have it anywhere in the US. You'll be lucky to get signal (phone or data) on a smartphone in most subways.

Try again in 10 years.
  by gprimr1

The more I think about this thread; I don't think it belongs in Amtrak forum. I'm moving it to the General Commuter Rail forum.