Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#449967  by doepack

Riding in on an inbound Rock Island train 418, I noticed that it arrives on track 7 at LaSalle St. Nothing terribly unusual about this except that it happens to be the same track where the protect locomotive is stored. Thought it was an aberration at first, but no, after several more recent trips, this seems to be the regular track assignment. Upon arrival, the equipment turns to outbound 419 to Joliet, and there's only one other set in the terminal at this time (approx. 1730); meaning that there are six other open tracks that this train could be routed on. I know commuters are creatures of habit, accustomed to boarding the same train from the same track every day, but it seems to me that Metra could pick another track for this train to load from; because 419 usually runs at capacity with all 8 cars open, it would save the commuters a little extra time since they wouldn't have to walk as far as they do now. Either that, or just put the protect unit all the way in the corner on track 8...