Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1623007  by Head-end View

The SEPTA single-unit Silverliner 5's I believe have a control-cab at both ends of the car.
 #1623046  by ExCon90

Correct. I believe they've been running in revenue service to Cynwyd.

(OT comment: There have been posts here and there about the number of axles required to shunt track circuits; doesn't seem to be a problem with single SLVs.)
 #1623072  by R36 Combine Coach

The Dinky regularly had single unit Arrows for years, now usually a 2-car train of two single units.

Keep in mind everything up to MP75 was a single unit. And yes, even the MP72 and MP75 C units (cab
units) did have a toilet, same with the ACMUs.

But I can't think of where a single MP72/75 would run solo, not many shuttle services on the island.
 #1623104  by workextra

I think If we can comfortably address the matters preventing single pair or double pair operations the married pair is beyond fine for LIRR. No real
Need to run single unit EMUs

The west Hempstead (WM) scoot even if extended through to a WM/ATL scoot can. Run comfortably run with 4 cars
We’re talking about the lower ridership hours. Not the rush hours.

But this would require massive manipulation changes to put a dedicated emu set into
a specific service. The issue becomes if they need to turn that in Jamaica or Brooklyn for a train that normally rolls with 10.
Running 6 cars short would Surely get some 5 gold ⭐️ reviews
 #1623736  by R36 Combine Coach

Regarding the M5, think of a M3 with cabs on both ends. That was basically the concept.
 #1624434  by jlr3266

Single MU cars would gap out in the large 3rd rail gaps in high speed turnouts. A pair can handle will over 150 feet.
 #1625135  by CNJGeep

ExCon90 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:07 pm Correct. I believe they've been running in revenue service to Cynwyd.

(OT comment: There have been posts here and there about the number of axles required to shunt track circuits; doesn't seem to be a problem with single SLVs.)
It is, at least on Amtrak. Zoo has to block the Cynwyd car up between Zoo and Paxon or Valley to make sure nothing comes in behind it. Whether they actually *need* to or not is a matter of some conjecture.
 #1625153  by ExCon90

I can see that it would be. On the one hand, the rules say that in cases of doubt the safe course must be taken, but SEPTA seems to be okay with it between Suburban Station and 30th St. Seems to be a judgment call between the two systems.