• Why isn't the Oyster Bay line heavily used?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Why isn't the Oyster Bay branch heavily used? That crosses the LIE and Northern State and both could use some major park n rides. It also serves the North Shore and is a realtivley short trek to Manhattan.

Why not? I say rebuild, striaghten, electrify. Add park n rides at the highways and NY25A and encourage development along the line. Perfect.

I say with a little work, we can make a 60 min Penn Station-Oyster Bay commute a reality.

by Dave Keller

I can't say that the Oyster Bay branch was EVER heavily used and that was probably the reason why:

1. Electrification never extended beyond East Williston.
2. Double track stopped at Locust Valley and never went the rest of the way to O.B.

Even back in the 1930s, a 3-car freight was average, although there were occasionally a few longer ones, but nothing like elsewhere on the island and 3-5 car passenger trains were common.

Also, REA service ended along this branch in 1960 which cut back even more on carrying goods.

Dave Keller

by NIMBYkiller

" I say rebuild, striaghten, electrify. Add park n rides at the highways and NY25A and encourage development along the line."

The only point where the line gets curvy is past Glen Cove. The rest of the line is fairly straight.

LIE is too close to both Roslyn and Albertson to put a stop.

NY25A used to have a stop called North Roslyn. It's pretty close to Greenvale, but I do think they should re-open it. Don't expect anything in the way of park and ride there though. That whole section is steep hills.

And the line doesn't need to be electrified yet. And even when it does need to be electrified, it will only be til about Glen Cove.

by Nasadowsk

The line doesn't need to be electrified? How ELSE are you going to attract ridership?

IMHO, the LIRR should have cut the line to Glen Street years ago, straightened out that stupid curve there, and put in third rail. Glen Cove riders could just drive the (litterlly) extra 30 seconds, Locust Valley ones could go the extra 3 minuites, and Oyster Bay ones could just go to Syosett, which most do now anyway.

Getting rid of the track beyond Glen Street gets rid of a big, complex, traffic stopping grade crossing, plus a few smaller ones. And it gets rid of the slow, curvy track that inherintly limits the ridership at the far end anyway. There's little reason the rest of the line couldn't be at least somewhat faster, and I doubt there'd be much preventing 80mph south of Roslyn. In any case, the extra punch of electrics would help getting out of Glen Street (and also Greenvale to Roslyn), and get the speeds up between Sea Cliff, Glen Head, and Greenvale, not to mention Roslyn to Albertson.

Right now, the OB line has few advantages - it's not anywhere near frequent enough, it's often slower than driving to Mineola or Port Washington, and it's not offering direct NY Penn service, or even Flatbush Ave service. It's ridership is consistantly in the bottom 1 or 2 of the system, and yet it runs through an area that enjoys some of the highest population density in Nassau, and to top it off, is severly constrained roadwise. The line's potential is nowhere near being tapped, and it's pretty obvious that the existing service just isn't going to attract riders.

by Long Island 7285

i agree with the eletrification. on the OB to glen street. if definatly would atract costomers and free up parking along the main for other costomers.

even if in the beginning they runn a 2 car scoot during the rush between OB and glen street. i'de say its definatly worth while and will benifit both nassau county and the LIRR. and probly would cost less then the main line rehab (witch needs to be done)

by NIMBYkiller

No way should the OB line be abandonned to any extent. No more RR line abandonment! It's screwed over the island over and over again.

"and I doubt there'd be much preventing 80mph south of Roslyn."

Agreed, except near Nassau tower. It'd be perfect for express trains running from OB. All stops to Greenvale or Roslyn, then non stop to Mineola.

"and it's not offering direct NY Penn service"

That can be solved through better scheduling. There's is one run though in each direction to NYP.
  by Noel Weaver

I do not think that any portion of the Oyster Bay Branch should be cut
back.
Electrification would certainally improve the service but I think electric
operation would be better used on the entire Port Jefferson Branch rather
than the Oyster Bay Branch.
I was told some time ago that there were major NIMBY problems on this
branch and that might be one reason that the third rail was never
extended past East Williston.
Noel Weaver

by Nester

Nasadowsk wrote:Right now, the OB line has few advantages - it's not anywhere near frequent enough, it's often slower than driving to Mineola or Port Washington
BINGO! That is exactly why the line, as currently configured, does not work -- everyone who is in a hurry drives to Mineola or PW. The LIRR Commuters Campaign once sent staffers (handing out survey cards, talking to riders) at Locust Valley and the riders all agreed that most people drive to PW since they have more trains and the ride is quicker. The lot at Locust Valley was barely used.

Nester

by NIMBYkiller

I think the right stations are Syosset, Plandome, and Manhasset. Driving to PW would be a waste of time.

Also, I bet if a park and ride were put in at Landia, LOTS of OB riders would use it.

Honestly, this is just a guess.....but I think the majority of the OB lines potential lies within the island. Connect it to the Nassau Hub and I think ridership would go up. Maybe also connect it somehow with the PJ line.

by Long Island 7285

to connect OB with both the PW or PJ line the ROW would have to run secinicly along the LI sound and through properity that i know will not be given to the railroad, espically with the LIRRs negitive reputation.

by NIMBYkiller

Connecting it with the PW is impossible.

With the PJ though, I think it can be done. The only tricky part is the immidiate area surrounding both the OB and Syosset stations.

by Long Island 7285

well start doing your user name and maby it will get done

gota kill off the nimbys first

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:gota kill off the nimbys first
That's true!

by mp15ac

The problem with electrifing the OB branch is the old "chicken and the egg" syndrom.

There isn't enough traffic to warrant the expense of electrifing right now.

vs

If the branch is electrified there will be more traffic to warrant to expense.

Stuart

by Long Island 7285

the hell with the chicken and the egg.

just eletrify the dam branch and let the fish bite the bate

eletric to OB, 1seats to FBA and NYP then later GCT, the fish (passenger driving to other stations) will bite the bate (1 seat rides and speed from the OB branch)

OB eletrification is a gamble that can only improve the LIRR.