Railroad Forums 

• Who has the poorest condition track?

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#536338  by slashmaster

I'm looking for any railroads with very poor condition track with 5 mph speeds or less. All I know of is the Grafton and Upton. Does anyone know any other railroads like that?

#542040  by GOLDEN-ARM

The Bailey branch of the P&W is (was) 5 mph for the entire line, with some portions being restricted to "walking speed". Due to the 60 and 70 pound rail, and ties dating from the thirties, we had derailments almost daily, until it started costing more money rerailing, than we were making in revenues. Currently the line sits unused, pending official approval from the STB for the line to be abandoned. Since it's a leased line, it's the UP's decision to make the final call. We have another line, at Hillsboro Jct, running to the Forrest Grove, that's another 5 mph "winner". Seems that sawdust and mud, don't make for a suitable foundation, to support your rusting rails......... :P

#542474  by slashmaster

THanks, interesting, How long are these lines?

#542526  by slashmaster

Thanks, I'm looking for stuff that's still used though but if someone knows a video of somebody trying to get a locomotive down a piece of track like this that would be awesome.
 #546945  by caboosedog

In Michigan. one spot of track i know of thats very very bad is the stretch of Great Lakes Central Railroad between Ashley, Michigan and Middleton, Michigan. at times the speed of grain unit trains from Middleton are slow slow that it takes a train at least 2 hours to go from Middleton and across the rail crossing at US-27 just north of the M-57 overpass. I would say speeds are no more than 4 to 5 mph. this is former GTW track.
 #603240  by scharnhorst

Skaneateles Short Line Railroad (now abandoned) was restricted to walking speed with in its last 8 miles from the Stauffer Chemical Plant to its interchange with Penn Central/Conrail. The train movement to and from the Chemical plant could see more derailmants in 8 hours than most Class 1's might see in 1 years time span.
 #746884  by gema

5mph is like walking or bicycle running like Grafton and Upton. I try to find have any other this but don't. So I feel to know really still now service or running Grafton and Upton & have any other railroad? anybody plz inform here I also wanna know.

#792729  by jayenelee

The record worst operating track I saw was by a public lakeshore in Michigan in the late 90s. A line ran along the lakeshore and was live to a switched track that crossed the road. One of the rails going into the switch was so twisted that the side was shined up instead of the top. Part of me wanted to see a train go through just to see how they got it through, and another part wanted to be nowhere in the vicinity when the train went through.

How do you get trains across trackage that bad? It never worked on HO scale! :P

Finger Lakes Railway's branch between Penn Yan and Himrod *looks* very rough due to the uneveness in the tracks, and has appeared very nearly the same in that respect since Conrail days. FGLK has poured some gravel on the line and changed some ties since they had it.
 #794309  by jayenelee

Another section of rough track I saw recently was the Great Western (I believe) line between Regina and Saskatoon Sk. The prairies were flat and the tracks were not.... despite the many Mobil Grain covered hoppers along it.
 #794376  by scharnhorst

jayenelee wrote:Another section of rough track I saw recently was the Great Western (I believe) line between Regina and Saskatoon Sk. The prairies were flat and the tracks were not.... despite the many Mobil Grain covered hoppers along it.
CN used 60 pound rail on there Branch Lines out there in Saskatchewan which is what the 4 axle and 6 axle GMD1's as well some GP9's that had 900 gallon fuel tanks were built for. As the lines are sold off there being serviced with Semi trucks converted over with HI-Rail wheel sets.

CP Rail uses havey rail able to suport 6 axle power on there branch lines in Saskatachewan.