Railroad Forums 

• Where are the midwesterners?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#948  by Komachi

Don't tell me that the only people on this forum are from either the left or right coasts! C'mon, where are the Iwoans, Michiganders, Wisconsinites, North and South Dakotans, Missourians (Missourites?), Illinoians, Nebraskans, Indianians, Kansas Folk and Oklahomans?

Most of all, WHERE ARE MY FELLOW MINNESOTANS?!?!?

Come my fellow Midwesterners, speak and be heard!

Talk about our home-brewed regionals like the Minnesota Commercial, Dakota Minnesota and Eastern, Missouri and Arkansas, Iowa Interstate, Iowa Traction, Farmrail, et all or the Class Ones like Burlington Northern Santa Fe or Union Pacific and even our Canadian friends Canadian National and Canadian Pacific. Maybe you've got a hometown shortline you'd like to tell us about. How about a Midwesterner's oppinion of railroads on the coasts or a coastal dweller's oppinion of railroads in the Midwest.

Whatever your reason, topic or geographical location, set yourself down and rest a spell, grab a cup of coffee or maybe a little lunch and let's talk about railroading Midwestern style.

(And yes, I am "Minnesota nice" dontcha know!)
 #1042  by CNWfan5525

Komachi wrote:Michiganders
It's not michigander it's Michigainin. Well i guess you knbow were i'm from

#1265  by brianpwestgate

I'm from Blissfield, an hour south of Ann Arbor and served by the Adrian & Blissfield Rail Road. The term is very definately Michigander these days, though it used to be Michiganian. I don't know when it changed however.
BPW

#1440  by CNW4404

Kenosha Wisconsin 'ere- biggest CNW fan on the board so far?
 #1458  by CNWfan5525

Komachi wrote:CNWfan5525,

Did not mean to offend. A friend of mine from Ann Arbor insists that it's Michigander, so that's how I've used it. My bad.
Well some people say michigainian and others say michigander so in away it is both
 #1508  by Komachi

CNW4404,

Good to see ya back! Used to read your posts on the old Northwestern Forum. Kenosha, eh? I've got relatives who live there and have been through there a couple times.

Anywho, back to trains...

Kenosha's the northern most point for Metra, (at least on the U.P. North Division) isn't it? I remember seeing a couple of trains sitting on a storage track somewhere in town there in January 2002. What's the extent of operations for Metra there, just passenger service and storage, or do they have a sizeable yard and shop complex in Kenosha too? Just wondering.
 #1608  by Guest

Nw Iowa here near Storm Lake Iowa on the CN line heading to Sioux CIty Iowa , MP 441 at Aurelia

#1629  by pc c636

Hello,

Sioux City, Iowa here.

The D&I is here along with the NENE real close. When we go see my wifes sister I make sure to visit the Nebraska Central. Going to go see the Iowa Northwestern in a couple weeks then up to what used to be Nobles Rock in MN. I used to live in Sioux Falls and visited almost all the MN and SD short lines and regionals. The DM&E along with the TC&W are always fun to watch.

When I was younger (in the 1980's) I followed the BN. When I got back in the hobby I have no interest with the curent class 1s, but love seeing the locals.

Craig Levine
Sioux City, IA
 #1683  by monon513

Indianians??? How 'bout trying "Hoosiers" next time? I know, it's different. trust me. I've lived here all my life. You'll get used to it though. We've got the best of railroading in one state! A Pusher district, class 1's, shortlines, heavy industry, and even a few towers.(both active and inactive) OH, it's nice!!
 #1748  by Komachi

monon513,

I was tempted to use state nicknames for the people (i.e. Hoosiers, Gophers, Badgers, Wolverines, Cornhuskers, Hawkeyes, Sooners, etc.), but I couldn't remember what they all were (and was too lazy to look them up) and there were a few I had no idea on; Missouri, Illinois, and North/south Dakota.

Anyone from those states (or neighboring states) that know what they are? (Hey, who says a railroad forum can't be educational?)

#1836  by CNW4404

-----Kenosha's the northern most point for Metra, (at least on the U.P. North Division) isn't it? I remember seeing a couple of trains sitting on a storage track somewhere in town there in January 2002. What's the extent of operations for Metra there, just passenger service and storage, or do they have a sizeable yard and shop complex in Kenosha too? Just wondering.-----

Yep Kenosha's as far north as Metra goes right now, although theres a lot of support for a Milwaukee-Racine-Kenosha-Chicago corridor. On the weekends and nights, they park the trains down in the yard and send them back down in the morning. Metra, being an IL company, is not sponsored by Kenosha and the only reason Metra comes here is because they can park. We dont mind though :D

Metra has some sort of office here but I've never been to it- its next to where UP used to park their engines before the city said they were getting county employees sick (right across tracks is jail/police station)
 #1866  by davehaugh

I live in southern MN, and sometime when I get the chance I'll try to reply to some of your posts about Rochester and Winona. I'm no expert, but I might have some tidbit or two of interest. Dave

#1968  by Railpac

Your St. Louis, MO guy checking in. HERE I AM! Anyway, you forgot to mention the Manufacturers Railway Co. here in St. Louis. It is one of the railfan friendliest freight RR's you'll find. Just minding my own business taking photos in the rain, when a guy caome out and jokingly says, "Can't you find a better day to take pictures?" So we started talking and he offered me a tour of the engine facilities! Got some wonderful photos, wow, that was a great day.
 #2588  by UpNorthBob

[quote="Komachi"]monon513,

I was tempted to use state nicknames for the people (i.e. Hoosiers, Gophers, Badgers, Wolverines, Cornhuskers, Hawkeyes, Sooners, etc.), but I couldn't remember what they all were (and was too lazy to look them up) and there were a few I had no idea on; Missouri, Illinois, and North/south Dakota.

This is a prime example of things getting more complicated each year. I grew up as a Michigander, until women started objecting to the male reference (they didn't want to be known as Michigeese), so the term Michiganian came into use. As for calling us Wolverines - that sounds great to me, but would not sit well for those mis-guided folks who are devotees of Michigan State University, arch rivals of the UofM Wolverines.

Anyway, a questions for you northern Hoosiers. Is Milford Jct. still heavily patrolled by the police? I used to love to go there, but heard several years ago that every time a railfan showed up, a local would call the police, and he would come and chase them away. Same for St. Joe. Is it still like this?