Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Robert Paniagua

The new 5000 series will have "bowling alley seats" for what I understand which will yield more room for standees.

You mean "fold-up" seats? Those would be good that they can be lifted up to allow standing
  by Chicagopcclcars

No, they won't fold up. Bowling alley seats is an old term from way back. It described the longitudinal seats found in the 1915 era 4000 steel cars in Chicago. Other cities have them currently. Chicago always liked transverse seating since the 1920s so this is a big change. Personally I think many overweight riders skewed a poll taken by the CTA a few years back.

David Harrison
  by Met113

They should get rid of the seats near the doors so there's not just a narrow walkway to the door, make that area wide open. I can't stand it when people insist on crowding the door area while the rest of the car is wide open. Sometimes its so bad I can barely fit in the door. I'm starting to feel like I'm riding a Japanese subway and I'm expecting someone to come and push me all the way into the car.