Railroad Forums 

• when will we know?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#156007  by hille

my husbands employment session went pretty well i guess.
it is between him and one more guy, they will notify us by mail or phone. but when? the thing is that i need to find some sort of live in nanny if my husband goes to philadelphia for training. what is in philadelphia, anyway?
what kind of training?
how long did it take you guys to find out a defenite answer?
i know, i am a little anxious, but i just like to plan ahead a little bit.

#156038  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Hille-

What Railroad did he apply to? I would wait 2 or 3 days then I would call and ask about the results! I know the wait is killing you---but with your husbands experience he has a great chance with any railroad.

Nashville Newbie

#156109  by SteelWheels21

--what is in philadelphia, anyway?--

Cheesteaks, Scrapple, South Philly Girls with ADDYTOOD and the greatest football team in the world.

#156128  by SnoozerZ49

--what is in philadelphia, anyway?--

Cheesteaks, Scrapple, South Philly Girls with ADDYTOOD and the greatest football team in the world.

please Steewheels.... "the greatest football team in the world". You don't think I can let that pass can you? Not to go off topic but you may be correct with cheesesteaks, scrapple and South Philly but leave football to the professionals, namely the "Patriots"!!

#156161  by UPRR engineer

I've never heard of a carman leaving for training eather, all of it seams to be "on the job". The carman here have a small room for training/rules test. Theres usually enough carman here getting paid to sit around, waiting for the next wreck to train the new guys in the ways of the FRA. Who knows how long he will be gone, week or so, maybe less. Theres really not alot to it.

#156221  by chrisjz

If your husband hired out with Norfolk Southern then training for a carman lasts 8 weeks in McDonough, GA. I'm not sure about CSX, it may not be as long. One of the new carman at our terminal in King Of Prussia, just outside of Philadelphia gave me this info.

#156301  by thebigc

SteelWheels21 wrote:--what is in philadelphia, anyway?--

Sorry but the Steelers are located in Pittsburgh, not Philly.

The Patriots? Like the NJ Devils of the NHL. Zzzzzzzzzzz...

#156326  by SteelWheels21

---Sorry but the Steelers are located in Pittsburgh, not Philly. ---

The Steelers? Sorry, but we're talking about professional football here. You're welcome to wait in the lobby until we're done.

#156345  by hille

he applied for a job with csx. i think he will have to go to philladelphia for 5 weeks. after that 4 weeks somewhere here in north carolina.
but first, i guess, he has to get the job. we still have not heard anything.

#156503  by SteelWheels21

David, if I were a Giants fan I would be hesitant to talk football too, so I'll respect your wishes.

Hille, there really is no rhyme or reason for notification. You can get notified and have a month to tie up your affairs (like I did) or you can get the call and be expected to be there the following Monday. Good luck.

#156547  by CSX Conductor

CSXT's new REDI (Railroad Education Development Institute) in Atlanta Ga. was supposed to be for training of all crafts. Not sure if there was a delay on the beginning of training for car knockers though.

BTW, David, since all of you Southern CT people act as though you are New Yorkers, why bother calling yourself a New Englander?!? LOL :P

#159691  by hille

today it has been 2 weeks since the employment session with csx.
and we still have not heard a word. i am almost thinking that is a bad sign. oh well, it would have been too good to be true.

#159729  by Fatal

hille wrote:today it has been 2 weeks since the employment session with csx.
and we still have not heard a word. i am almost thinking that is a bad sign. oh well, it would have been too good to be true.

Showing interest is a good thing...have your husband give them a call to check on the status.