• When were the last LIRR diesels retired?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Liquidcamphor

I'm pretty sure it was 2716/2711 in very early 2000. I do know for a fact that he had that equipment in the begininng of 2000...The Engineer who was on that run for years and still is actually on that run, asked the Vice President of Operations if he was able to keep that equipment on his train as long as they could..the railroad liked him and believe it or not accomidated him.

Everyone was leaving Richmond Hill with new equipment except this guy. It was kinda funny. But the passengers went on a letter writing campaign to the President of the LIRR and by early 2000, that was it.

by Sean 418

Actually there were 2 engineers that they allowed to keep using the old equipment. One was the engineer for 2716/2711 and the other was the crew that covered a Oyster Bay /Montauk job. In fact, one of the last consists they had from Montauk consisted of 2 GP38-2 facing long nosed back to Jamaica. THe conductor and engineer of that crew refuse to work the DE/DM stuff now

by Clemuel

Probably some old koot.

C

by jayrmli

That's probably the guy who ran 2711 back from Montauk. He used to turn the Geeps around on the wye to run long hood forward. I used to see this a lot when I worked the freight at night.

Jay

by Sean 418

Actually , the engineers I was refering to on the Double ended GP38-2 is around my age (37) and his female conductor is in the same age group as well as the engineer on 2716/2711. He is still on that job. No buzzers for him, just hand signs. Both are excellent engineers to work with and so is the conductor.

by Fla East Coast Chris

As that Engineer would say on 2716/2711
LOOOOONNNNGGGG Island 2716 to PD Arrival MS.
"Thank You"!!!!

by M1 9147

We should bring back a special gift to that engineer, the Geeps, and the old coaches dedicated for that run to MK. Just a thought!

by AmtrakPhill629

That would be a great Idea. I miss those Gp's and Alco's

by Legio X

From our point of view, the old equipment was great, but to the commuters and the brass who had to listen to the complaints, it had to go. Did'nt some of those coaches date back to the early '50's? I would, still, like to make the run out to Greenport, Oyster Bay or Montauk on the old equipment. That was old-school railroading.

by emfinite

The engineer on 2716/2711, who is a great guy by the way, gave me some pictures to post here of his train with the old equipment. He would usually run the Geep(s) around the wye and put it on top of the power pack or 1500. Here are a few photos.

2711 At Babylon

GP38 272 running around the wye at Montauk

2711 at SK

2711 at MY
Last edited by emfinite on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Liquidcamphor

Hi Emfinite,

Those are really nice pictures. Reminds me of what the LIRR used to be. Do you have anymore? I would love to see them. Is it OK if I copy some of them from the site to save? Please let me know..Thank you

by Long island Joe

Image islip in 1995

Image GP38 270 at islip 1995

Image 268 and 276 at Greenport FanTrip 1988

Image Jamaica Station 1976

by emfinite

Here are a few more pictures that 2716's engineer wishes me to post:

2711 in Babylon

2711 in Babylon

276 with Christmas lights