• When were DL&W electric MUs retired?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by TrainBill

The MU's with Pantographs down were being pulled by diesel power during the transition period. You ask how lights and power were genterated on those cars. Well the fact is there were no lights powered at all. It was dark inside. But note: Remember this. During that week service was limited and those train sets with the Mu's were run during daylight hours. Expect for going through Bergen tunnel, there was daylight outside. When trains were not on rush hour time, it was two hours between trains. I still have the temporary schedule in my attic. Perhaps later I can post it.

Train Bill

by njt4172

TRain Bill,

You also mentioned you have some old pictures of the DL&W Mu's right before they were retired or the last runs :D ....Is there anyway you can scan those and post them too??

Thanks ,
Steve

by BlockLine_4111

These DL&W MUs ran in even numbered sets with a powered/panned coach and a trailer. How did the trailers get "juice" for the heating, circulation fans, lighting, and PA system. Was there "mini-HEP like" plugs and receptacles to facilitate the "juicing" of the powerless trailer coaches ?

by Tri-State Tom

Trainbill -

I was on the last run that night....in the last car with a bunch of Tri-Staters. AIR, we took turns turning the headlight on and off and playing with the horns as we passed stations. Got a cool horn blowin' send-off from several U34CH's and Comet cab cars in Hoboken too !

The GP40's hauling pans down MU's....there was no 'power' for lighting. As this was summer, it didn't get dark till 8-8:30 p.m.. Overnight storage of 6-8 MU's with the Geeps in Gladstone yard proved to be a 'challenge' indeed....some real close clearances between trains developed !

I believe the MU's went into storage all over the system for several weeks....cramed into the yards at Morristown, Summit, Waldwick, Port Morris and I think Bay Head and Boonton too....until new owners made arrangements for travel to destinations all around the country.

by Tri-State Tom

Mike -

Twert no 'PA Systems' on the old MU's....

Conductor stood either just inside the door or out in the open vestibule and hollered 'MORRISTOWN' a couple times into the cars. Had to holler as the old MU's were quite noisy in transit....a wonderful mix of clanging, banging, squealing, humming and wind blowing all at once !

by njt4172

Try riding the old Mu's on the Stourbridge Line if u like speed... They go up to 45 mph there...If you want the relics you should ride on the Middletown & Hummelstown as they still use the original horns and headlights....The M&H ride is much slower though....Since Steamtown won't operate this year, I must travel to other locals.......

by Idiot Railfan

I was on that last train too! I rode from Hoboken, but I had to get off in Denville because I had to go to work that night. I heard there were a couple dozen torpedoes strapped to the tracks as the train pulled into Dover. Must have been neat.

Those trains were noisy, but what was cool was how quickly silence descended on the train after it stopped at a station. Then just as quickly the noise would return as the train left the station.

I loved the open windows!

by thebigc

As a FYI, the Conductor on the last DLW MU train to Gladstone was Dick Venus, a CNJ guy.

by njt4172

I knew Dick. He use to be my conductor on train 612 in the mid 1990's when I commuted from Denville, NJ to Convent Station... I think he retired in 1998 or so...

by Tri-State Tom

IR -

" but what was cool was how quickly silence descended on the train after it stopped at a station. "

True except for that 'tick-tick-tick-tick' of some kinda motor in the undercarriage when ya sat in one of the powered MU's at a station.

What the heck was that motor/generator anyway ? It always came on at a standing stop of any length....

by Ken W2KB

Air compressor for the brakes?

by 7 Train

Were those DL&W MUs in Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" video?

by BlockLine_4111

Did any of the RDG or PRR EMUs resemble the DL&W equipment ?

by Irish Chieftain

There was indeed a cursory resemblance between DL&W MUs, PRR's MP54s and Reading's Blueliners. (MP54s had round "porthole" windshields. The LIRR had their own version of MP54, too.)

by BlockLine_4111

Did those versions have powerless trailer coaches ?