Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by N340SG

SeldenJrFireman,

I'm glad to see that some younger people appreciate "real" cars.
I was a late 60's/ early 70's MOPAR lover myself. 340, 383, 400, 426 hemi, 440. They were all cool.

Paul...nice wheels!! Did you have a 4 barrel or 6 pack in that baby??

Tom
1973 Basin Street Blue 340 Duster

by Paul

Well, ehhh... 383 2Bbl. I think those were rated 290 hp.(real Hp.) Anyway, it seemed to pull out of the hole pretty quick, but the 440s would come by me down the line. 2bbl made way more low end torque the the 4bbls. ABove 3800rpm, I was dead...

by 1962rambler

My little Ramblers are push button automatics.. With vacum wipers..The harder you hit the gas pedal.. the wipers would slow down..at a stop..they work fine..What a car..My father would yell his head off in that car..on a rain soaked night ..on the southern state parkway..coming back from my grandparnets home in staten island..Its part of joy of having a rambler.. now its all mine.. also love the sound they make when you hit the starter.. and driving them.. the noise they make..just going down the road..Old cars like old trains had class..

by thrdkilr

Paul,
When did the Canon ball stop running? How did it work, did it go out on friday and remain on the east end till sunday? What part of the year did it run? How many trains run on the weekends? Thanks for any info in advance...
  by CLiner2005

RRchef:

I can recall many years ago hearing the activity on the Main Line (from Little Neck on the PW Line - then known as the Northside Branch) late on a rainy night with a southeast wind blowing. I could hear the eastbound traffic passing the QUEENS area a couple of minutes prior to blowing for the crossings beginning at Floral Park. There were the steamers with their melodic wails - the H-10 whistle squealed almost like a European whistle - the FM's with their distinctive duck horns and of course the MU's, although I could not hear their traction motors from that distance.
You're right, the sounds (or lack of) have changed over the years. I'm glad to have been around the LIRR during those times some fifty to sixty years-ago. I'm sure there are a few on this forum who share my memories.
  by de402

The OP engine in a C-Liner must have been a neat sound.

Eric

by jhdeasy

thrdkilr,

The Cannonball continues in operation in 2004, although it isn't quite the same train as The Cannonball of the 1960s thru 1990s. On Friday afternoons only, May 28th thru September 3, 2004, The Cannonball departs Hunterspoint Ave at 4:06 PM, departs Jamaica at 4:25 PM, runs non-stop to Westhampton, arriving 5:41 PM and makes Southhampton, Bridgehampton, and Easthampton before arriving at Montauk at 6:48 PM. The Cannonball is identified by name in the Montauk Branch timetable. You have your choice of unreserved coach or "Hamptons Reserve Service."

Almost all of the Pullman heavyweight parlor cars used on The Cannonball (the all reserved parlor car only pre-1969 Cannonball consist pictured earlier in this thread) were retired after the 1968 summer season. The heavyweight parlor cars were replaced by a fascinating collection of sleeping cars, sleeper lounge cars, diner lounge cars, and tavern lounge observation cars acquired from B&O, FEC, KCS, NH, PRR and UP. These were designated LIRR class P80A, P80B, P80E, P80F and P80G; 2 of the cars were designated as business cars. Around 1975-1976, the LIRR retired almost all of these streamliner cars and replaced them with 12 of their own lightweight coaches rebuilt as parlor cars for "push/pull" operations; these 12 cars were known as The Sunrise Fleet and were designated LIRR class PP72. The Sunrise Fleet was retired when the new bilevel passenger cars were delivered. That brought about the end of true parlor car service, which was replaced by "Hamptons Reserve Service" -- much better than unreserved coach, but not quite the same as traditional parlor car service.

PERSONAL OPINION: If LIRR acquired/leased a group of lightweight passenger cars suitable for parlor car service (let's say 6 chair cars and 2 tavern lounge cars of Budd ancestry) and marketed it as traditional parlor car service, they could operate it at or near capacity.
  by freightguy

Nice shot of the power pack over by E. Patchogue on the old South Shore Line. I was more enticed by the shot of the Getty gas station. That is still there and the Alco is long gone. Those weren't a fan favorite of the engineers around here. Some of them would turn the Geep or MP15AC at Montauk on the wye to avoid running the power pack in on the Westbound trip. Another Long Island first push-pull commuter service

by KilltheGP10

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE OTHER PICTURES OF THE GETTY STATION???

RUDOLPH

by LI Loco

PERSONAL OPINION: If LIRR acquired/leased a group of lightweight passenger cars suitable for parlor car service (let's say 6 chair cars and 2 tavern lounge cars of Budd ancestry) and marketed it as traditional parlor car service, they could operate it at or near capacity.
I would have thought with the introduction of Acela Express that Amtrak's Metroliner club cars, which provide 2-1 seating and have a galley / cafe in the middle, would have become surplus. They would be PERFECT for premium service to the Hamptons.

by RRChef

Loco
you are absolutely right. It would be the logical thing to do. However, if they buy these cars now they need engines to pull them. Is it a justifiable expense to purchase cars and engines for use 4 months out of the year? A private company might think so, but a government agency has to think about what the taxpayer reaction would be. because of this, I don't think you will ever see true parlor car service on the LIRR again.

One other thought. A smart move might have been to convert the C-1's which were recently sold, to parlor cars. There was a rumor about this sometime ago. The FL-9ac's are still around up in Metro-North's deadline. The millions of taxpayer dollars wasted on this equipment could have been put to better use if this equipment was kept for Hamptons service. But, I guess nobody thinks that far ahead or in logical terms.

by RRChef

C Liner
Sorry, I just saw your post. While I don't remember the steam era( I wasn't even a twinkle in my Daddy's eye then!) I do remember the 60's and 70's. I have fond memories of warm, still summer nights and laying in bed listening to the sound of Alcos struggling down the main line. I would swear I could hear them coming out of Holban, faintly at first, but then growing louder and louder as they approached the first crossing at Covert Ave. Then the distinctive horns blasting, I could tell the difference between the C420's and the RS's. I would wait for the second crossing at 12th street and then NHP Road. I would count how long it took to reach each crossing and I would know if it was frieght or passenger run. Then I would wait for the sound to grow fainter as the train rushed east. I would hear the horns at Herricks Road(before it was elevated). The sounds would start to fade away around Mineola, and then I would wait for the next one, maybe a westbound this time or a MU on the Hempstead. Sometimes when I think about, this was almost more fun than actually watching a train. There are times now when I will be sitting outside on my patio on a summer night and I would swear I hear those Alcos comming down the Main, but I know it's only my mind playing tricks on me.

by Paul

Ahhhhhhhh, that Century sound! There was something magical about that 251 sound. I would stand on the platform at St. James and the engineer would swipe the thottle to run eight and off they go!. I would stand as close to that track as I dare to soak up that sound every chance I had. So distinctly differant than the 244 and the 539 engines, and you knew when they were working hard! I must admit that the new EMD 265H engine has a healthy sound to it as well, but it's muted though the exhaust silencers. I would love to hear one of those at full horse power with out the muflers!!!

by RetiredLIRRConductor

nah

by Nasadowsk

Wait - on the old AMC cars, you had to step on a bag of wiper fluid to hose the windshield down?

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the floor mounted high beam switch in cars? :(

I remember the old '15s and '38s. The old P cars? Less than memorable. those things hung on WAY longer than they should have. Dirty as heck, lousy ride, and rusted to oblivion...

I do remember the bell at Sea Cliff. For years it weas messed up and you could hear the cliker thing trying to ring it but it'd only manage to hit the bell every now and then, so it was clicka clicka clicka ding clicka ding clicka clicka clicka ding.

Oh yeah, and the weirdos around Glen Street. Man, that area got cleaned up over the years...