• Whatever Happened to.... Darius!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by One of One-Sixty

There was a civilian that was posing as an LIRR engineer, and some how made a copy of keys to a new train and tried to take the engine out for a ride, but was stopped before he could back in March.

This was apparently the third time he was arrested for tresspassing and stuff on LIRR/MTA property and impersonating an employee.

Does anybody know whatever happened to him, is he in jail or was there just a fine for the penalty?
  by de402

I think you are refering to the above person. Its worth checking the NYT magazine a few years back about the article on him. I think Randy Kennedy did the story. I think he's been sent away to jail.

by BMT

Yeah, he's up the river THIS time. After all, they went lightly on him when he made off with an 'A' train or a city bus several years ago. This guy is a danger to the riding public if not himself!*

*Supposedly, McCullom suffers from Asperger's syndrome which causes the person to fixate on a certain subject. In this case it was trains (or other vehicles used in public transportation).

by Nester

I think the first time he took the 'A' train he was still a minor. Even kiddie murders in this state get off easy (in most instances)

I also recall reading an article about him having Asperger's.

Nester

by Otto Vondrak

The first time he went on his A-train joy ride, I was still in high school. The next day, I remember everyone bombarding me with questions and teachers calling my mom at home because they heard "some kid" who was "a train fanatic" stole a subway train and operated it for most of the day.

Everyone was convinced it was me. :-P

Hope Darius gets the helps he needs and wont pose a danger to himself or others.

-otto-

by 7 Train

The A train incident was in 1993, IIRC.

by njtmnrrbuff

He is serving his time. He was wrong to have done that. Darius had no business in encroaching in the yard and doing whatever he did. While Jail is punishment, it is also rehabilitation. Hopefully he is getting all the counseling he needs. He has certainly done stuff like this in the past.

by boston774

Whatever he is getting in jail, it will not help him. This guy needs to be in a psychiatric facility, not with drug dealers and violent felons. State of NY should be ashamed of itself.

by de402

boston774 wrote:Whatever he is getting in jail, it will not help him. This guy needs to be in a psychiatric facility, not with drug dealers and violent felons. State of NY should be ashamed of itself.
i agree. while what he did was obviously bad, i think there was much to learn how he managed to accomplish what he did. why not give him a decom'd M1 to play with? would be cheaper than housing him at 44K a year with people who've done a lot worse than he ever did. he never hurt anyone, (it can be argued that he placed people at risk) but I doubt that he ever would have, since all he wanted to do was just be like a motorman or employee. when he took the A train for a spin, passengers didn't know there was an imposter in command until the end of his trip (IFRC).

he probably knows more about the ins and outs of system than even the most senior men on the proverbial campus. how did he get keys? uniforms? etc. no one else has done anything like this since, and i doubt there ever will.

by BMT

I agree that the punishment seems harsh, but I think the judge in this case had to weigh certain factors such as the defendents age, his number of times being caught doing the same crime, against the fact that no one was harmed during his acts of criminal tresspass. I'm sure had Darius had (1) a better lawyer and (2) been caught and treated via psychiatry at an earlier age, he might not now be serving time in 'the big house'.

by 7 Train

Several years at Roosevelt Island would be better. His condition needs to be addresed before he can come out in public again.