Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by ohioriverrailway

How about realistic scheduling for weekends when there are events in the city. I'm thinking like "The Taste" and others. Can't speak for the other lines, but the schedule to Harvard is purely fiction. Some extra cars in the consists wouldn't hurt either. We had standees all the way to Arlington on the 630 trip Sunday night. Conductors made absolutely no effort to collect tickets -- in fact, never saw a conductor until after we passed Pingree Road.
  by doepack

ohioriverrailway wrote:How about realistic scheduling for weekends when there are events in the city. I'm thinking like "The Taste" and others. Can't speak for the other lines, but the schedule to Harvard is purely fiction.
I hear you on that one. For instance, I rode BNSF last Sunday at Aurora, trying the catch the "special" express train leaving at 10:10. Guess what time the equipment made it in from the yard? And we didn't actually leave until 10:22. But I expected that though, because minor delays like this are common whenever modified schedules are run, the times listed tend to be approximate, and normally run at least 5-10 min. late on average due to the crowds. And as for outbound service after the taste fireworks, the published schedule gets shot to hell with amazing quickness; again, because of the sea of humanity trying to get home...
ohioriverrailway wrote: Some extra cars in the consists wouldn't hurt either. We had standees all the way to Arlington on the 630 trip Sunday night. Conductors made absolutely no effort to collect tickets -- in fact, never saw a conductor until after we passed Pingree Road.
Any cops on the train? It's hard for me to imagine NW running anything shorter than 9 cars last weekend, do you recall how many cars your train had?
  by ohioriverrailway

doepack wrote: Any cops on the train? It's hard for me to imagine NW running anything shorter than 9 cars last weekend, do you recall how many cars your train had?
I'm thinking it had 10, seemed to fill the platform (track 13) but couldn't really get out to the end to see due to enhanced "security."
  by CNW5022-A519

Bring Back the E8s and E9s, have armed securty during all home Cub games, I had the misfortion to ride with several cubs fans and they are rude as anything, during rush hour they bug the working men and women that ride the trains back and forth and think that they own the train, or put them in a car by themselves, they are not pleasent and I try to mind my own bussiness on the trains when they are on or when I hear that "we" as in the Cubs won I tell them you won I root for the Chunichi Dragons of the Japanese Basebaru.
Also Paint all of the Pullmans into Chicago and North Western Green and Yellow.
  by AMTK347

Have ALL trains on UP North terminate in Kenosha.
Eliminate the three and a half hour gap on Saturday evening trains on MILW and UP North lines.
Weekend service and additional weekday service on North Central.
Have quiet cars.
  by doepack

AMTK347 wrote:Have ALL trains on UP North terminate in Kenosha.
Gotta expand the yard in Kenosha first, which won't be easy neither logisitically nor financially, unless you could get the state of WI to fork over a subsidy. Otherwise, would it really be worth it to increase the DH mileage while shuttling more equipment to and from Waukegan? Nah, I don't think so...