• What type of people should the LIRR hire?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BeverlyLIemp

Dear Paul,

You did not write the statement I quoted, another contributor did. I read what you wrote. You do not work for nor seem to ever want to work for the LIRR. So if you write about what you observe in your workplace on the Union Pacific Railroad, then that is your right. Please excuse me if I have your employer confused with another contributor.

The others that contribute here that want to work for the LIRR should take a different tone and tout what they can do as rail-fans and enthusiasts for the Railroad. Not a defensive posture based on heresay and inuendo, simply because they haven't had an employment opportunity as fast as they wanted.

This is a company that receives thousands of resumes a year from some very qualified and very un-qualified people and anyone in between. Instead of worrying that they won't hire you because you are white, young, male or are a rail-fan, worry about how you can tell them WHY they would want to hire you. They offer a career, good pay, benefits, retirement and a decent work environment.

Ok, what do you bring to the table?

by Long Island 7285

Clem,
you misunderstood me. I was mentioning about what was being said about the social security in the future, how they claim there is not enough people entering the work force as there will be retiring in the next few years or so, there was some thing written about a while back, but I really never followed it, just read something and that was it? Social Security comes from the Govt.? don’t it? PM me on that.

This is a company that receives thousands of resumes a year from some very qualified and very un-qualified people and anyone in between. Instead of worrying that they won't hire you because you are white, young, male or are a rail-fan, worry about how you can tell them WHY they would want to hire you. They offer a career, good pay, benefits, retirement and a decent work environment.
Beverly,
you made some good points in what I quoted above. I have noticed that a lot of fans do get out of hand about this subject, and from my point of view it is because one employee says to put down you have railroad interests and others tell you don’t put anything about railroad interest on your resume, Others have even stated that because (subject A) is a Caucasian male the LIRR will not hire them. Though we have taken this topic and gotten out of hand with it. As being fans and being told a different thing from different employees ; it does get one aggravated to a point to just believe that it has gotten to a racial/anti fan issue.
Simply because fans get tolled a different story from whoever they meet. I personally will not claim that the LIRR is a racial employer until I have evidence from a legit source. What I previously posted in this topic was primarily based on what I read from other posts that my reply was based upon.
  by phoenix

what type of people should be hired by the LIRR?

depends on the product I suppose. I mean, this is a monopoly and the island is at the will of the railroad, wheter or not the product is sufficient.

I worked for the railroad in the last 90's while I was going to school. I'll never forget that my very first night reporting to work at Penn, there was a strike on a Friday night and they stuck me in the information book. What an experience! I came home and friends told me they saw me on the news!

I can't even begin to tell the experiences but wow, they have really helped me excel in my field!

So what kind of guy am I? I'm a bit of a rail lover. but its over. I grew up as a toddler walking around Morris Park, so I liked the 70's diesels, but thats not what kept me going to work.

I think you have to like people and social. You have to have a degree of sympathy, understanding and drive to do the job. And you have to be a part of hte big picture.

Those are ideals. But again, if you have a monopoly, I suppose it makes no difference who you hire!

by Otto Vondrak

Locked for review.

-otto-