Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by jlaroccoii

Does anyone know what the size of the "South Shore Line" herald on the side of the coaches? I was wondering about that.
  by MikeF

According to my notes, the herald on the sides of the 1-48 series cars is approximately 11 by 41 inches.
  by jlaroccoii

Thanks for that information, MikeF. It has been almost tempting to trespass to get the measurements. That would be bad.
  by dinwitty

PRRGuy wrote:I suppose you could just call the main office and ask... Really, we don't try to be a mean railroad.

Ryan
thats the best bet, let the folks know so they don't think your some crazy...
  by Tadman

A caveat to above - the Shore is quite friendly on both passenger and freight sides - PLEASE KEEP IT THAT WAY. Always ask permission, remember manners when around employees, and don't do anything that has the potential to get you hurt.

Many good railroads have had to take a anti-railfan attitude because some entitled railfan got hurt and sued.
  by dinwitty

I've taken a tour of the shops with the CERA and they led us around and showed us everything goin on. We signed a release which I believe talked about injury accident was to be our responsibility or whatever, but the group was quite railroad pro and knew their stuff and it was a fun tour.