Railroad Forums 

• What's in Chillicothe?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1026072  by iceman977th

I'm up here for school for a few weeks, so I'm trying to figure out what's what, I think I have it all figured out.

Correct me if I'm wrong..

- CSX and NS are the only operators in the city
- NS line comes from the south, first line you pass over on 35 N, operates a small yard about a mile from US 35, & has a spur that runs into the plant there
- CSX parallels NS for the most part, main line runs north of the city, while two spurs come off before passing US 50 northbound
- Southern CSX spur runs to the NS yard to run across & operate inside the plant
- Northern CSX spur runs into a large yard in the center-east part of the city, with a single track that exits the yard westbound and runs south (east) on the NS line back to their yard)

Correct me if I'm wrong? Who used to own the yard in the middle of town? It's completely empty for the most part..Did there used to be another railroad that ran NW out of town? There looks to be a path from the intersection of E Main & Sugar St that heads northwest that used to have another rail line...someone care to give me some info? Thanks!
 #1027268  by MSchwiebert

The "empty yard" in the middle of town was the division point for the former B&O between Cincinnati and Parkersburg WV. (Ohio Division during Chessie days) as part of the Cumberland - St. Louis route. CSX began downgrading this line in the 1985-86 timeframe, and abandoned portions shortly after. There was also a second B&O line that angled up toward Dayton from here as well. This line is long gone as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_ ... o_Railroad
 #1030114  by iceman977th

MSchwiebert wrote:The "empty yard" in the middle of town was the division point for the former B&O between Cincinnati and Parkersburg WV. (Ohio Division during Chessie days) as part of the Cumberland - St. Louis route. CSX began downgrading this line in the 1985-86 timeframe, and abandoned portions shortly after. There was also a second B&O line that angled up toward Dayton from here as well. This line is long gone as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_ ... o_Railroad
Yeah, I saw a couple pictures when the B&O used to run through. CSX still uses the yard alot, mainly for ADM & NS interchanges. I couldn't help but notice, when heading northbound of S Bridge St at the Glatfelter paper mill, that the signal coming out of the mill is still a B&O style signal, did this line run anywhere or was it just a dead end spur for the mill? Also, did one of the defunct railroads run across N Bridge right by the river & head northwest from there? I looked & saw what looked to be a railbed along that stretch...