Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by gregorygrice

I have a bunch of photos to edit, but here is one for now. The photo shows one of the bogies being dragged down the Cutoff.

Photo Link: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/619623/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by gregorygrice

Three more photos of the scrapping process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by gregorygrice

And 3 more showing the end result of the car in the container.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by DogBert

Chop Chop. :)

There were 4 left on the cutoff this weekend, I presume they'll be gone either today or tomorrow.
  by Ðauntless

Atleast they will live on in scale..
  by DogBert

Ðauntless wrote:Atleast they will live on in scale..
3rd printing a few?
  by AlKaLI

Dogbert:
I can't be sure but Tuesday morning it looked like the bogies from your picture where at the bottom of the Cutoff. This morning all that's left by Thomson Ave is a small container and some cut up "B-ends" with the brakewheels clearly visible. Saw this from my LIRR commute on both mornings. The end of an era.
  by gregorygrice

As of yesterday all bogies were removed from thr Cut Off. But lets not forget, they still have to get the ones in Hicksville.
  by Ðauntless

Yup. Will be available for sale in a few weeks.

by DogBert

Ðauntless wrote:Yup. Will be available for sale in a few weeks.
Neat. Keep us posted I'd be down to buy a set.
  by newkirk

Speaking of scrapped bogies, about those bogies by the PSEG Hicksville plant.

There are some gondolas on the same track that haven't turned a wheel in who knows how long.

Are those gondolas to be scrapped ? I guess that's the only way to remove and scrap those bogies.
  by adamj023

Amtrak7 wrote:Included in this month's MTA Board agenda is a rider contract for LIRR on top of MNR's contract with Frontier to scrap equipment.

The equipment specified is: 22 long term OOS M3's, 2 M1's, a gondola, some flatcars, and some locomotives.

Does anyone know what locomotives and M1's are in line for the scrapper?
I saw pics of M3's that were unused and stored a long time ago with vandals ripping out parts from the cars. M3's are being phased out once M9's come in. Are these the M3 cars that are being scrapped I presume? The rest of the M3's wil see scrapping when M9 deliveries come in as I would think all working M3's will comtinue till the first M9 deliveries are in or perhaps some may stay in longer to increase service capacity.

Sounds like necessary housekeeping work of unused equipment on tracks which were wasting precious track space and cause further environmental damage if it wasn't cleaned up appropriately. While not as big a deal as an M9 delivery or other MTA projects, it is nice to see scrapping going on,
  by EM2000

Precious track space, and environmental damage. 😂
  by newkirk

"The equipment specified is: 22 long term OOS M3's"

Why so many OOS M-3's ?

Any collision or fire damaged units ?