Railroad Forums 

• What's a "frog?"

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#286265  by b&m 1566

I've seen them on some rail cars before. If a truck slips off the rails it’s used to get it re-railed. I'm not sure how else to describe it really.

#286323  by pennsy

Hi All,

The re-railers around here are not called Frogs. They are usually attached to the underside of an engine and can be used by the crew. This assumes a minor derailment and therefore does not require the use of a rail crane. It also covers the tail of the engineman that put the engine or railcar on the ground. A derailment can really mess up your future with a RR if they decide that it was as a result of something you did that you shouldn't have done. In other words, a very serious problem for all those involved. The RR has NO SENSE OF HUMOR in such areas.

#286375  by steemtrayn

pennsy wrote:Hi All,

The re-railers around here are not called Frogs. They are usually attached to the underside of an engine and can be used by the crew. This assumes a minor derailment and therefore does not require the use of a rail crane. It also covers the tail of the engineman that put the engine or railcar on the ground. A derailment can really mess up your future with a RR if they decide that it was as a result of something you did that you shouldn't have done. In other words, a very serious problem for all those involved. The RR has NO SENSE OF HUMOR in such areas.
That's how it was in the old days. Now, if you're caught covering up a incident, you're in more trouble than if you just reported it.

#286585  by BR&P

I know what rerailers, rerailing frogs, replacers, etc are but your comment about seeing them installed under cars threw me - I thought you were talking about something which "lives" on the car as it travels around. I see now that's not what you meant.

It is true that things have changed 180 degrees. 100 years ago cabooses and many locomotives carried rerailing frogs and blocking, and it was a part of the job the crew was expected to do.

The May 1914 issue of BR&P Employees Magazine had an article "Are The Young Men in the Service Giving Handling of Derailments Sufficient Consideration?" (how's that for a title?) Here are a few comments from BR&P employees:

John Stockmaster, conductor: "We retracked three cars at Bliss with the use of blocking and chains, having to pull the cars up to the rail after which we used our frogs."

W.H. McNaughton, conductor "...should make an effort when they have a derailment to try and clear the main track if possible without the aid of the wrecking outfit..."

M.C.Kelley, Wreckmaster: "One of our heavy freight engines had engine truck only derailed and a call was put in for relief equipment (wrecker). On arrival a pair of frogs were dropped under the wheels and engine rerailed in six minutes. There were frogs in the caboose of the train the engine was pulling. Well, we had to get engine, and engine and train crew, eight wreckers, steam derrick engineer and wreckmaster to go out and do six minutes of work with equipment a duplicate of which was on the train."

One would assume that, given the lighter rail of that time, rerailing frogs were lighter than the huge "butterflys" of today. I can't imagine carrying one of those from the caboose to the engine of even a short train. But as Pennsy says the whole idea of a crew rerailing themselves is gone, at least on the larger carriers.

#286794  by b&m 1566

BR&P wrote:I know what rerailers, rerailing frogs, replacers, etc are but your comment about seeing them installed under cars threw me - I thought you were talking about something which "lives" on the car as it travels around. I see now that's not what you meant.

It is true that things have changed 180 degrees. 100 years ago cabooses and many locomotives carried rerailing frogs and blocking, and it was a part of the job the crew was expected to do.

The May 1914 issue of BR&P Employees Magazine had an article "Are The Young Men in the Service Giving Handling of Derailments Sufficient Consideration?" (how's that for a title?) Here are a few comments from BR&P employees:

John Stockmaster, conductor: "We retracked three cars at Bliss with the use of blocking and chains, having to pull the cars up to the rail after which we used our frogs."

W.H. McNaughton, conductor "...should make an effort when they have a derailment to try and clear the main track if possible without the aid of the wrecking outfit..."

M.C.Kelley, Wreckmaster: "One of our heavy freight engines had engine truck only derailed and a call was put in for relief equipment (wrecker). On arrival a pair of frogs were dropped under the wheels and engine rerailed in six minutes. There were frogs in the caboose of the train the engine was pulling. Well, we had to get engine, and engine and train crew, eight wreckers, steam derrick engineer and wreckmaster to go out and do six minutes of work with equipment a duplicate of which was on the train."

One would assume that, given the lighter rail of that time, rerailing frogs were lighter than the huge "butterflys" of today. I can't imagine carrying one of those from the caboose to the engine of even a short train. But as Pennsy says the whole idea of a crew rerailing themselves is gone, at least on the larger carriers.
So I wasn't that far off when I called it a frog huh? Now if someone could just explain to me with the difference between a re-railer and re-railer frog that would be great!!!

#286829  by BR&P

Same thing - replacers, frogs, rerailers. One type of rerailer is often called a butterfly but believe me they're about as far from light as you can get! The name comes from their shape, not weight.
 #287169  by GOLDEN-ARM

henry6 wrote:Oh, yeah, rerail frogs. See these things hangen' from the catwalk on the side of switch engines or piled near a switch shanty in a yard. The Dog House also had one or two at hand and the wreck train may have a couple dozen laying around.
They are called "ReRailers, or Replacers". Anyone using the term frog for them, is using that word incorrectly. "Butterflies" have been used, to describe those devices, but not frogs. A frog is the section of a switch, or diamond, where the two tracks (individual rails) intersect, allowing travel to/on either rail in question.

#287217  by David Benton

so if a train crew manages to rerail a derailed car , what is the procedure then . Do they proceed at a reduced speed ??? . There must have been a reason for the derailment after all ?

#287236  by DutchRailnut

These days rerailing a car can and will get you fired tru FRA.
They will push to have railroud fire your sorry ass.
Nowadays federal rule stipulates that if a car derails and travels x amount of feet on the ground the wheels and bearings need replacing.
so to hide the derailment will get you in more trouble than if you just tell them the truth.

#287272  by BR&P

GA - My quote above from the BR&P Employees Magazine shows clearly they were in fact called frogs. In many places they still are. You are correct re the word meaning where rails in a switch or diamond intersect but in some locations it also means rerailers, and has meant that for years. It just depends on where you are, you've been around enough different pikes to know that terminology varies from one place to another. That actually would make an interesting thread - different names for the same item or practice in varying places.

Dutchrailnut - The FRA itself will not get you fired for rerailing a car. If you rerailed it, set it out, and notified the appropriate parties that it needed to be inspected for derailment damage, the FRA would be OK with that. If the company has rules against a crew rerailing by themselves, that's a different matter.