Railroad Forums 

• What is NYSW's future?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#239753  by myfavscr

From the New Jersey transportation Planning Authority's long range
rail plan:

The Bergen rail project which extends from Rt. 208 in Hawthorne along
NYS&W is a high priority project that envisions 8 stops in Passaic County
which would have regional benefits.

Advance the NYS&W railway passenger rail service restoration

#239799  by trainfreak

It will be something to see regular passenger service on the Susquehanna no matter what it is. But the day will be when i can drive 10 minutes over to Stockholm and get on a train bound for the metropolitan area.

#239861  by Steve F45

if the nysw passenger plan was set and ready to be built. Would they have to put in any passing sidings or double track it anywhere? If so where could you physically do it? I know from the hackensack river you should be able to. I mean why did they make the new river st. bridge a double track bridge if only 1 track was beeing used? Could you double track it from hackensack westward all the way thru paterson? anything west i could see it running into problems.

#240592  by trainfreak

I know theres a good chunk of track that pretty much is double tracked between Rochelle Park and PC its just the one rail is being used as a siding for storage now.

#240594  by Steve F45

i see that track. it starts just west of rt.17. But how hard would it to double track from rt.17 eastward thru maywood/hackensack? Would you even double track it anywhere west of paterson?

#240644  by Noel Weaver

I believe a few years ago the Susquehanna was actually double track as
far west as Riverside which is a little bit west of Paterson.
When I rode regular service passenger trains, seems to me that there was
a spring switch at Riverside with home signals controlled from maybe
North Hawthorne where they had an interlocking machine in the station at
that time. I think the double track went as far east as Little Ferry where it
became single track with CTC.
Noel Weaver

#240651  by Steve F45

Noel, thanks for that info. In little ferry and RP i can see the old track sometimes coming up out of the dirt.

But today i can't see how they would get it doubled thru bogota from the hackensack to cross street.

#240670  by CJPat

This may be an ignorant question, but if passenger service is generally such a losing enterprise (as was explained to me in another thread quite a while back), why would the NYS&W entertain the idea of passenger restoration at all? I figure they are working hard just to make their freight profitable. Why include an enterprise that will suck up what little profit money they are generating?

#240679  by metman499

The passenger service would be operated by NJ Transit. If anything the payments Transit would make would make the Susie-Q money or at the very least track improvements, rather than be a drain on resources.

#240680  by RichM

Not an ignorant question. The railroad doesn't want the passenger trains, it wants the benefits that the money the state and federal agencies provide to upgrade the tracks and infrastructure to support the passenger operations. Most of the reopening of the original line west of Smoke Rise, and the relocation caused by the construction of 287 was paid for by federal grants and low interest loans. And though the space looks tight, the railroad in all likelihood owns a reasonable width for its right-of-way. If the tracks were doubled once, they can be again. The only limitation on some other lines, for example, the tunnel at Pattenburg, happens when provisions are made for higher and wider loads. In this case, clearances don't allow double tracks without expensive tunnel expansion.