• What happened to the LIRR Patchogue train? 3/17

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

I was wondering if you guys know what happened to the Train today that connected with the 1030 train from Patchogue. Unfortunately, i dont know how LIRR's numbering system works, because im Metro North. All i know is i took the 851 train to patchogue from jamaica to patchogue. Arrived around 10am. Then took the 1030 Am back to babylon, and changed for a local that left around 11ish or so, which made freeport and jamaica. However, i noticed we started goin west on the Eastbound track at Valley tower, and we didnt go on the Montauk electric, but ended up goin west on atlantic 2 track. Due to the Platform work at Rosedale, we seemed to be doing no more than limited speed. Interestingm we ended up dyin as the train passed through locust manor. M7s brakes went into emergency, cause i recognized the noise it made. I guess he went barefoot and maybe lost his shoes, cause he lost his blowers and lights after a while. They then asked us to transfer to the eastbound plat for service to jamaica and to change at jamaica for NY service, as the Train was goin to flatbush avenue.

ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS ON WHAT HAPPENED?

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Did not hear anything about that M-7, but I can tell you Valley had signal trouble for a few hours around that time. i worked train 864, due at valley 1218PM. As we approached Valleys home signal, I mentioned to the Engineer I could not see the signal. As we got closer there was a good reason, It was dark. We had get "C" cards to get through Valley, and as a result were 22 minutes late in Long Beach. On the westbound train, 853, when we got to valley all was back to normal. That was at 114PM. I also understand they had signal trouble at Rocky (Rockville center) and Port ( Freeport)

by Tommy Meehan

LIRRConductor I'm just curious to know what happens to the cab signals when the signals go down? When riding the head car on LIRR trains of M1s and M3s I occasionally hear the cab bell ringing esp. on the west end where there are a lot of other trains and crossover switches.

Was the cab signal telling your engr stop at Valley because of the signal being down??? Or were the cab signals inop too???

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The cab signals and wayside signals work in conjunction with each other. In just about all cases, when you get a dark signal, the track circuit will be down too. So yesterday when we approached Valley, the cab signal did indeed drop to 15 as we got close to valley. That was the main reason for the delay, having to do restricted speed throughout the interlocking at valley. The only time in my experience that a signal was dark and we had an MAS code (MAS= Maximum Authorized Speed) was when a signal was damaged by vandals or other similar situations when the bulbs of the signal itself were damaged, but the circuit to the signal was working. Being a Conductor, I am not very familiar with how the track circuits and signals work together, this is a question a signal man, or block operator would have more of a detailed ans. :wink:

by bellportfrank

Good going LIRR Conductor! Lucky you saw the signal and made the engineer stop. Now that I ride the LIRR everyday and talk to the trainmen, I realize how important you guys are to the railroad. One Conductor told me that he decided who was allowed to ride a train and he could eject you without cause, even the engineer. I never knew this. He also told me that he was required to take control of the train in the event the engineer refused his orders or if he kicked him off the train. I wanted switch careers and be an engineer but now I want to be a Conductor.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I did not mean to imply that the enginneer did not see the signal was dark also of course he did. I was just saying when we were a mile or so away I had happened to mention I could not see the signal and he concurred. We at first thought it might be aimed wrong but when we got close we could see it was dark. My Engineer was on top of things. By The way The Conductor has General Charge of the Train and its crew, The Engineer has equal responsibility. I cannot take an Engineer out of service, and he cannot take me out of service (unless there was a blatant violation of the rules such as being reckless) Even then we would call for supervision and let them handle it. The engineer has equal responsibility for the safe operation of the train. No one but a qualified engineer may operate a train in the United States. The federal government has licensed engineers. They are required to take a federal test every three years in addition to LIRR Requirements.If i were you i would go for Engine service. Its not easy dealing with the public day in and day out. However be advised that being an Engineer has greater responsibility in their private lives. If an engineer gets in trouble while driving his car EVEN off duty, it can affect his federal License to operate trains.

by kuzzel540

LirrConductor wrote:No one but a qualified engineer may operate a train in the United States.
I don't want to mention names, but I seem to recall when they had those wildfires on sunrise highway a few years back, a conductor I know was asked to move a train on the montauk branch as a safety procaution.
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

in response to the earlier post about engineers and conductors havin equal responsibility, but engineers have greater responsibility. I have friends in MNR here with me who tell me, u could be on your honeymoon in hawaii, and if u commit a movin violation, u better tell your road foremen of engines. Although its a heavy responsibility, i still want to become MNR engine service. I even drive my car as if it was the train. Safely, without speeding or n e thing. I got one movin violation in 2003 of improper turn from eastern parkway to atlantic. I made a left when there is a no left turn arrow. I expect the violation to be gone by this summer, and i believe next time i will become a engineer when i take the exam. That is probably why i am not in engine service yet. I will get there one day tho.

by Form 19

kuzzel, I worked the Branch and was in Speonk throughout the wildfires and what you are told is probably railroad fokelore.

Sorry but I spent 12 hrs one day moving engines and equipment from Speonk to Center Moriches and another 12hrs moving them back when the fires were under control. I suspect your buddy is fibbing on that one. For the LIRR to ask a Conductor to do that would be against the law and subject them, the Conductor and anyone who asked them to do it, to a heavy fine and dismissal. Emergency or not. Nothing against the blue bellys, but I was there and after we got everything out of Speonk there was no equipment for "him" to move. Most of the moves I had to make by myself. I really don't know what your friend is talking about or where he moved anything. Nothing personal, Engineers are guilty of "stretching" stories as well.

MNRR...I don't necessarily buy that the Engineer "has more" responsibilty. I am an Engineer and will say that we share many responsibilities and each have responsibilities that are unique to each of our positions. When Engineers make mistakes, it is usually caused by our own actions. When a Conductor makes a mistake sometimes it is not caused by himself but by a Brakeman or Collector....to clarify what I am saying I will make an example. The Engineer is speeding, runs a signal or runs his engine into a parking lot. It's his action that caused the grief that will follow incidents like that. Now a Conductor..he has 12 cars on his train and he tells the Brakeman to zone off the rear 2 cars prior to a station stop. They get to the station, the Brakeman forgets to zone the cars...doors open off the platform and someone falls out. The Brakeman may get disciplined but most definately the Conductor yet he was not directly commiting the act of being negligent. See what I mean? Got to look at it from both sides.

by kuzzel540

Form 19 wrote:kuzzel, I worked the Branch and was in Speonk throughout the wildfires and what you are told is probably railroad fokelore.

Sorry but I spent 12 hrs one day moving engines and equipment from Speonk to Center Moriches and another 12hrs moving them back when the fires were under control. I suspect your buddy is fibbing on that one. For the LIRR to ask a Conductor to do that would be against the law and subject them, the Conductor and anyone who asked them to do it, to a heavy fine and dismissal. Emergency or not. Nothing against the blue bellys, but I was there and after we got everything out of Speonk there was no equipment for "him" to move. Most of the moves I had to make by myself. I really don't know what your friend is talking about or where he moved anything. Nothing personal, Engineers are guilty of "stretching" stories as well.

That could be true. I'll ask them the next time I see them.

by Dave Keller

Form 19:

A railroad man stretching the truth?

Nawwww . . . . .surely you jest. (I know . . don't call you Shirley!) :wink:

Dave

by jg greenwood

Form 19 wrote:kuzzel, I worked the Branch and was in Speonk throughout the wildfires and what you are told is probably railroad fokelore.

MNRR...I don't necessarily buy that the Engineer "has more" responsibilty. I am an Engineer and will say that we share many responsibilities and each have responsibilities that are unique to each of our positions. When Engineers make mistakes, it is usually caused by our own actions. When a Conductor makes a mistake sometimes it is not caused by himself but by a Brakeman or Collector....to clarify what I am saying I will make an example. The Engineer is speeding, runs a signal or runs his engine into a parking lot. It's his action that caused the grief that will follow incidents like that. Now a Conductor..he has 12 cars on his train and he tells the Brakeman to zone off the rear 2 cars prior to a station stop. They get to the station, the Brakeman forgets to zone the cars...doors open off the platform and someone falls out. The Brakeman may get disciplined but most definately the Conductor yet he was not directly commiting the act of being negligent. See what I mean? Got to look at it from both sides.
Back in the "good ole days" when paper time-slips were the norm, we often told the conductor, "your name is on the top line" (of the timeslip). Translation: He's in charge and will face the music if there's any questions to be answered.
  by Head-end View

Don't call you Shirley?? Ah yes, another crew of "Airplane" movie buffs........ :wink: