• What does CSXT stand for?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by the missing link

Conrail Southern eXTension.....
Lol! thanks, havent heard those before

by jpfaff

I work for CSX... And if you never worked a job where you did absolutely nothing then shut up.... What about the Nazi Southern who dissolved many yards... And you want to know about Conrail... It ran their freight but didnt care about there fleet.. And in the end it beat them in the a@$... CSXT... Stands for Chessie, Seaboard Coastline, and extensions... Which include the acquisition of Conrail...
Jason

by Tadman

The "X" has no word behind it, it is just a place holder. This was told to me by Mr. Watkins himself a few times. His grandchildren are some of my oldest friends, and it was quite a treat when he used to visit.

by Otto Vondrak

"The name came about during merger talks between Chessie System, Inc. and Seaboard System Railroad, Inc., commonly called Chessie and Seaboard. The company chairmen said it was important for the new name to include neither of those names due to it being a partnership. Employees were asked for suggestions, most of which consisted of combinations of the initials. At the same time a temporary shorthand name was needed for discussions with the Interstate Commerce Commission. CSC was chosen but belonged to a trucking company in Virginia. CSM (for Chessie-Seaboard Merger) was also taken. The lawyers decided to use CSX, and the name stuck. In the public announcement, it was said that "CSX is singularly appropriate. C can stand for Chessie, S for Seaboard, and X, the multiplication symbol, means that together we are so much more, and T for Transportation." The T had to be added to use CSXT as a reporting mark, since company initials that end in X could only be used by non-railroad railcar owners."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX

By the time the merger went through, they had been using the "CSX" abbreviation for so long, and never bothered to come up with a more "friendly" name. Some suggested the letters sounded "cool" and modern, and better than anything else they could have come up with... so CSX stuck.

-otto-

by lvrr325

Can Someone eXplain This??

Cheap Sonofaguns eXist There. (I'm being nice).

I saw this post and thought it was a pretty open ended question, half the things I've heard it stands for you couldn't post in a public forum.

by Tadman

The funny thing is, if anybody has closely observed management or read Rush Loving's book, it's pretty obvious that although it was a reasonable merger of equals, the Chessie management was the predominant group and their style continues at the main offices. Many marketing and business experts say it's a bad idea to name your business with acronyms or letters, especially if there's no real words behind them. It takes a monstrosity like GM, BMW, or SAP to have a strong brand name made from letters. With the railroads' public image fading into obscurity, and their newly increased need for positive publicity - remember, building tracks and increasing traffic brings out the NIMBYs and tree-huggers - it might be a good idea to revert to the Chessie System name, and use the cat again. It sticks in people's minds easier, and has a better chance of appearing on the radar screen of public consciousness. And right now, the railroads are going to have to fight for their rights to expand if they want to stay ahead of the competition.

by jgallaway81

And what I heard from a C&O Clerk who was involved in the mergers to create CSX, and subsequent line sell-offs:

C: Chessie System
S: Seaboard Coastline
X: All the NON railroad companies owned by the two parent companies:
T: Transportation

X: i.e.: Greenbriar Hotels, the C&O car-boat ferries, etc.

AAR Initials: CSXT because CSX says the car is owned by a NON-railroad entity. T was chosen because the name is CSX Transportation.

by Dieter

I remember when the merger went through it was specifically referred to as "CSX Transportation". Time has passed, things change. Where ever you are, which do you hear in conversation or media more often?

1) Just "CSX"

2) "CSX Transportation"

3) "CSX Railroad"

4) "CSX Railway"

???

by MuddyAxles

Urban D Kaye wrote:Another story I'd heard was that the acronym "CSX" was just intended as a temporary "placeholder" to refer to the holding company on legal documents until a more appropriate name could be invented. Eventually, CSX just stuck and no other name was developed.

Not sure whether this is true, but given the way CSX is run, don't be surprised if it is.
Typical...I heard that too...read it actually. The cheap sob's couldn't spend ten dollars on a new name..."Hey, dis one works!"

by CSX Engineer 98

Otto Vondrak wrote:"The name came about during merger talks between Chessie System, Inc. and Seaboard System Railroad, Inc., commonly called Chessie and Seaboard. The company chairmen said it was important for the new name to include neither of those names due to it being a partnership. Employees were asked for suggestions, most of which consisted of combinations of the initials. At the same time a temporary shorthand name was needed for discussions with the Interstate Commerce Commission. CSC was chosen but belonged to a trucking company in Virginia. CSM (for Chessie-Seaboard Merger) was also taken. The lawyers decided to use CSX, and the name stuck. In the public announcement, it was said that "CSX is singularly appropriate. C can stand for Chessie, S for Seaboard, and X, the multiplication symbol, means that together we are so much more, and T for Transportation." The T had to be added to use CSXT as a reporting mark, since company initials that end in X could only be used by non-railroad railcar owners."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX

By the time the merger went through, they had been using the "CSX" abbreviation for so long, and never bothered to come up with a more "friendly" name. Some suggested the letters sounded "cool" and modern, and better than anything else they could have come up with... so CSX stuck.

-otto-
This Technically Explains it all and is how it is explained in all my railroad books that mention CSX transportation

C is Chessie System
S is Seaboard System
X is the Multiplication of the two corporations
T was placed on for Reporting marks on the Equipment and also fit for Transportation.

by missjenngirl

hubby says that it stands for Cessie and Seaboard, and that the X was added just because if the left it at CS then insiders would call them Cock Suckers.
don't know if it is true, but that is the story at the REDI Center

by Noel Weaver

What does CSX stand for?

TROUBLE

Noel Weaver

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Collisions, Spills and eXplosions
  by nitstalker_fam

n01jd1 wrote:How about Crash Slam and eXplode or Chemical Spill eXperts or Cant Stand eXellence or my favorite Chicken Sh*t eXpress???? :) :P
well my daddy was a loc. engineer when it was L & N, but when they changed it to CSX he always called it C*CK SUCKERS ExPRESS....either or sounds about right...LMAO

Kari

Re:

by scooterz66

n01jd1 wrote:How about Crash Slam and eXplode or Chemical Spill eXperts or Cant Stand eXellence or my favorite Chicken Sh*t eXpress???? :) :P
If that's the case, what does NS stand for? They seem to have issues with derailments and destroying the enviroment