• What about Conrail cars marked "NYC"?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Steve F45

Over the last few weeks i've been seeing alot of freight cars on the csx river line with "NYC" painted in blue on them. I've seen some old conrail gondola's with a very very faded white "NYC" on them, but these are gondola's, trash hauling cars/and containers, box cars. Is this the same new york central? Is it somewhat coming back?

by DutchRailnut

during split of Conrail the fleet was re stenciled for Conrail cars ging to CSX =NYC
Conrail cars going to NS = PRR.
this was just to keep them seperated till official split.
Most cars are now permanently marked for new owners.

by Dieter

NYC and PRR are history, you ain't gonna see them outside of a museum.

It was a strange thing to do with the equipment, but it certainly was creative.

by shlustig

Not really all that strange.

Years ago NYC re-activated the CASO and T&OC reporting marks to keep certain cars in assigned services.

by Ramcat

The New York Central also reactivated the B&A reporting mark for hopper cars in Benson Mines service.
  by ChiefTroll

Conrail cars that were transferred to CSX were lettered NYC. The cars transferred to NS kept their CR reporting marks. Locomotives transferred to NS were lettered PRR, and locos transferred to CSX remained as CR.

The reason for use of those reporting marks, besides the fact that the "ownership" of the reporting marks was transferred through Penn Central to Conrail and then to NS/CSXT, is that for at least the first five years after the split of 1999, Conrail Inc. and all of the former Conrail property was jointly owned by NS and CSX.

Both railroads set up operating entities for their parts of Conrail. The NS part was or is operated by an organization owned by Conrail, Inc. called "Pennsylvania Lines LLC" for "Limited Liability Corporation." The CSX part was or is operated by "New York Central Lines LLC." NS and CSX selected those names, certainly with total awareness of their historical significance.

I have not kept a close eye on the current status of Conrail, Inc or its subsidiaries, but it still exists and operates the Conrail Shared Assets Orgainzation for the three terminal areas.

So that is the long story on why some former Conrail cars on CSX are lettered for NYC. They could use TOC, B(&)A, LSMS, U(&)D or RW(&)O if they wanted to, as long as no other road has pre-empted the use of those reporting marks.

Gordon Davids

by GN 599

I kinda like seeing those reporting marks around these days. Especially as a young railroader who wasnt around when the ''real'' cars rolled through town. All those Progress Rail Service gons that are still in PC green (and rust) is as close as I get out west this day in age.

by John P.

I get a chance to see these cars with NYC markings everyday when I walk out side at work. Most of the ones I see are on hoppers and gondolas and painted in grey letters.

by scharnhorst

one creative way that I have seen a few cars remarked with NYC was CSX took and put NY befor CR and painted our the R which blead back giveing a funny mark NYCR on the cars.
  by weeg870543

Do you suppose there are any orginally marked NYC cars from 1968 or before that have been relettered to PC or CR and now relettered back to NYC reporting marks?
Just a question...

by U-Haul

I really doubt it, but there might be a few derelicts hiding somewhere.

by scharnhorst

I've seen a few PC Gondolas in Lyons in the past the green color gives them away but they were long sents remarked for Conrail. Ballest Hoppers seem to hold out with there true PC Marks thow as seen on Finger Lakes NS sold about 12 at leased 4 or 5 were still lettered for Penn Central.
  by weeg870543

I believe that this is the former NYC 753022. Yes I find this hard to believe myself and if I'm wrong I will admit it was too good to be true but I do believe this one may have originally been lettered NYC new and now many years later returned to NYC lettering thanks to CSX (of all companies) creativity.
[/img]http://www.railfanningwesternpa.info/im ... 20.JPG[img]
[/img]http://www.railfanningwesternpa.info/im ... G_3121.JPG

by scharnhorst

The trucks could have been siting in a back shop storage area some place on CSX/Conrail Property. Many of the leased railcars that are owned by companys like HCLX and outhers have the trucks from the original owners under the cars. but will have a stencil with HCLX followed by the new car number.
  by dummy

yesterday at QC 393 in western ny on the water level route, CSX is dropping off ties for the track work project. two PC gondolas and a new york central gondola with a built date of 7-66. in the set. #442535. not sure whos nuber though.