• What about Conrail cars marked "NYC"?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

weeg870543 wrote:Do you suppose there are any orginally marked NYC cars from 1968 or before that have been relettered to PC or CR and now relettered back to NYC reporting marks?
Just a question...

There was an original NYC Gondola that used to pop up the Syracuse area a few times a year during the Maintenance season that last time I saw it was last winter it spent 3 months on a siding at a cement plant before it disappeared. There was also a an original PRR 70ton 2-bay Pullman Hopper painted in either gray or mint green painted and lettered for Pennsylvania RR that was keeped in DeWitt Yard in Sand Service it to disappeared a year or two after CSX took over the yard.
  by Otto Vondrak

(Not directed to the post above)

Just to clarify: a CSX car marked "NYC" does not mean it is a freight car of NYC heritage. CSX labeled everything they acquired from Conrail with "NYC" just as NS labeled everything of theirs "PRR."

-otto-
  by ChiefTroll

Otto Vondrak wrote:(Not directed to the post above)
Just to clarify: a CSX car marked "NYC" does not mean it is a freight car of NYC heritage. CSX labeled everything they acquired from Conrail with "NYC" just as NS labeled everything of theirs "PRR."
-otto-
Not quite. NS got the CR reporting mark, so former Conrail cars marked CR belong to Norfolk Southern and they didn't have to change the reporting marks on those cars to PRR. CSX marked their former Conrail cars with NYC. NS marked their locomotives with PRR, but locomotive reporting marks don't work the same way. NS didn't change reporting marks on cars to PRR.

For five years after the Conrail split, until 2004, all of the former Conrail property remained in the name of Conrail, Inc., a jointly owned subsidiary of CSXT and NS. Conrail, Inc. transferred property to NS through a subsidiary of Conrail, Inc. named "Pennsylvania Lines, LLC" and CSX did the same thing with "New York Central Lines, LLC." Those two entities had no corporate connection with the former railroads of those names. They were only named for convenience. After five years, which had continued for some obscure tax purpose, NS and CSX took possession of the properties owned by their respective entities, and left Conrail Shared Assets Operations as the jointly-owned terminal railroad, through Conrail, Inc.

Gordon Davids
  by Clif

The coil gon in the photo is of NYC heritage;

as referenced here;

http://www.railyardmodels.com/catalog/n ... e154f.html

Yes I know it is a model site, however he researches the models he produces.

I have one of these models.

That coil gon is quite distinctive, the four sets of heavy square posts.

So yes I for one would say the truck belong, and the car originally carried NYC reporting marks.

However with the fact the PC merger was over 40 years ago time is catching up with the original NYC cars of any type.