Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Mr Met

since the comet V's are there for Mn WOH service these cars are now going to be used on EOH service

by mncommuter

Yay! Extra cars for our crowded trains??

I saw them as well. I wonder if they'll replace the black stripe with blue?

by JayMan

mncommuter wrote:Yay! Extra cars for our crowded trains??

I saw them as well. I wonder if they'll replace the black stripe with blue?
Hopefully not -- that'll be an interesting sight to see EOH. ;)

by Otto Vondrak

These cars are so old, they are decorated with two-tone M's...

-otto-

by njt4172

otto,

How many are over there with the two tone M?.....Also how many are lacking the blue stripes?? Most of the cars that have no circle around the M still have their original 1983 orange plush seats......I wonder if they will be replaced....

Thanks,
Steve

by mncommuter

Does anyone know where/when these coaches are to be utilized, once they're prepared for use?

by DutchRailnut

First they need to get updated trucks, as all east of Hudson line cars have combined Disk/Tread brake, the west of Hudson cars only have Tread brake.
some electrical modifications are needed. but yes they will go into service eventualy.
My suggestion get them ready with long distance furniture, paint greeen side band and get them ready for Albany service :-D :-D :-D
  by N340SG

get them ready for Albany service
Hurry up with that Albany service. :wink:
My daughter is a Junior at Siena college up there near Albany.
Maybe MN will honor her LIRR dependant student pass. :-D

Tom

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

What Albany service? Thought that was a gonner. Don't think you'll see that for a while, a long while.

by Otto Vondrak

Dutch was expressing a wish us railfans have secretly held for years... some sort of extended service beyond Poughkeepsie.

Regarding the two-tone M's... not sure how many cars carry them, but more than a few had them...

-otto-

by M1 9147

Hope those are up for display at Croton this year come October 16.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Albany, what then Buffalo? Hourly service to Albany, bi-hourly to Buffalo?

by KFRG

Albany is already pushing it, but Buffalo? That's out of the question.

by Lackawanna484

Albany's not totally out of the question for MetroNorth. With the amount of money NY state has put into Amtrak's benefit:
---125 mph trackage upstate
---Turbo rebuild project
---403 grants each year

You could make a good argument it wouldn't be any more expensive to let MetroNorth do the job. That way, the state could at least call the shots for its money.