• West Medford Training Extra

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by NRGeep

What is going on there? This late AM all Downeaster and Commuter rail were crawling through West Medford and the DE even stopped at the rt 60 crossing briefly before resuming to crawl. No ROW construction observed but plenty of folks in orange vests and a 3 car commuter "extra" parked on the West Medford siding for awhile with fire trucks parked near there.
  by Diverging Route

NRGeep wrote:What is going on there? This late AM all Downeaster and Commuter rail were crawling through West Medford and the DE even stopped at the rt 60 crossing briefly before resuming to crawl. No ROW construction observed but plenty of folks in orange vests and a 3 car commuter "extra" parked on the West Medford siding for awhile with fire trucks parked near there.
This really should go in the Delay thread, but I received a T-Alert about signal problems. Also riding home this evening on 331 we had a stop signal at Somerville Junction. After about two minutes, it went directly to clear.
  by theinsider

The three car extra is a training train for emergency responders.
  by sery2831

I don't have the details in front of me. But an extra set was to be put up on the siding at West Medford for emergency personnel to prepare for a drill in late October. Since a train cannot clear up on the siding(it lacks and electric unlock), the number 2 track is out of service from Winchester to Somerville Jct during the training.
  by Arlington

On page 8 of the print edition of the Sept 16th Medford Transcript (but not online so far) there is a picture of the locomotive and two cars (lead by #1512) with the caption:
MBTA and Medford Fire Department officials survey an old commuter rail train to be used in an upcoming training session. Check out the story in next week's [Sept 23, 2010] Transcript and find out what city and state officials want you to know about the training
So is the idea that this was the training-session-for-the-training session, and we'll find out next week what October's training will be?
  by butts260

sery2831 wrote:I don't have the details in front of me. But an extra set was to be put up on the siding at West Medford for emergency personnel to prepare for a drill in late October. Since a train cannot clear up on the siding(it lacks and electric unlock), the number 2 track is out of service from Winchester to Somerville Jct during the training.
I regret I cannot understand the phrases: "since a train cannot clear up on the siding" and "it lacks and electric unlock"; so I do not understand why the number 2 track would be out of service. Would you clarify this for me please?
  by sery2831

Sure. Here is the NORAC Rule(261).
261. Track Signaled in Both Directions
Signal indication will be the authority for a train to
operate in either direction on the same track.
At a hand-operated switch that is not equipped with an
electric lock, a train may clear the main track only where
maximum authorized speed on the main track over this
switch is 20 MPH or less.
  by sery2831

Oct 24th is the day the drill will be taking place.
  by Mcoov

So, basically trains will have to crawl past this spot for the next month?
  by sery2831

No, the training train was at West Medford four days this past week. It will not be there again until the drill, and it's all over.
  by StevieC48

In the article I noticed it said survey old commuter rail cars. Does this imply that the cars they are using are out of service never to return to service, so the FD and the other agencies can tear up the cars using their various toys like torches or the jaws.
  by obienick

Why couldn't the train just get a Form D with permission through the switch. Then when it's on the siding, clear the Form D. And get a new one for when it departs?
  by GP40MC1118

Because as SERY pointed out, its all there in Rule 261! Form D's do not apply in this situation. There is no
Form D to give. And for what purpose?

Even if you could run on No.2 Track with the extra on the siding, it would be hazardous since you got
personnel all over the place. Unsafe!

D
  by Arlington

Today's Medford Transcript has a preview of the drill scheduled for Sunday, October 24. Full story is available online here: http://www.wickedlocal.com/medford/tops ... ster-drill

Interesting points:
Several local law enforcement and safety divisions will be present for the drill, including state and local police departments and representatives from Armstrong Ambulance...[the Initial drill] involved safety personnel reviewing emergency shut-off procedures and exit points....
Participants will also become more familiar with the personnel of the train, from the conductor to the engineer to other safety workers on board....
Other good bits:
- Drill will require both tracks to be shut down (hence its on a Sunday)
- There will be persons with simulated injuries
  by Arlington

SIMULATED TRAINING DRILL: The MBTA/MBCR will conduct a training drill from 7:00 am to 11:00 am on Sunday October 24 at the Canal Street Grade Crossing - West Medord - this may have some effect on local traffic.
...so said the site medfordpolice.com. Below is a link to the article in the Medford Transcript, which really didn't shed any additional light on the drill:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/medford/feat ... st-Medford

So, yes fire, ambulance and police responded to a mock disaster at the Canal Street grade crossing (north of the Mystic River but south of the Route 60 / High Street crossing at the West Medford station). They used one of the main tracks (not just a siding as they did during the prep).