Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

I took the red subway yesterday for the first time in over a year. I usually ride the brown train downtown because I like the daylight and relative quiet of the L. With the snow we've been getting all weekend, I decided to ride the subway so I didn't have to wait in the snow. Evidently the CTA has installed welded rail in the tunnels. It's so quiet! It was eerie how quiet the subway was. I'm quite impressed. I'll ride the subways more often now.
  by MACTRAXX

Tadman: The State Street Subway now has welded rail in those stations now? Did the CTA change out the block ties also?
My best memories of the Downtown State and Dearborn Subway stations were first off is that they were the longest continuous subway stations in the World I seem to remember and the curved walls amplified the train noise substantially-I remember it seemed that trains were traveling faster then they actually were.
Thanks to www.chicago-l.org/ and here at the CTA forum I have noticed that sound absorbing walls of some sort have been installed-has the subway noise been eased? MACTRAXX
  by Tadman

Mactraxx, it is unreal how quiet the ride is now. I thought we were in a submarine or something.
  by Chicagopcclcars

Both the State ST subway and the Dearborn Milwaukee subway were built with welded rail from the start. That's the early 40s. Except for expansion joints, other jointed sections are the result of replacing broken or worn rail. The track work now under progress includes rail replacement, replacement of the original wood half ties with concrete half ties and new signaling. Sound absorbing materials has also been applied to walls in stations. The Red line has been completed while work is progressing on the Blue line. When all the work is finished, I don't know what top speed will be allowed on subway straight track. Upgraded median track like the finished Blue line is good for 70 MPH.

Pics in the Red line subway of the new concrete ties, rubber pads for that smooooth ride, clamps, all the latest track technology.

David Harrison
  by Robert Paniagua

A little sidetrack, note the red candy wrapping almost touching the third rail on the second picture, hence the importance of not littering on tracks