Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Trains

I bought one of those web tickets from the LIRR website and used it on one of my trips to the island and back to the city. It was a round trip ticket with a Metro Card on the back. Anyway, on my return trip, when the conductor took the tickets, I asked if I could keep it and he told me that I'm supposed to use the Metro Card before my final trip. I was wondering if this is a policy that they collect all tickets. I figured they would let you keep the Metro Card tickets but apparently they are supposed to collect them. Why do they collect the tickets, and why do they give people a hard time for wanting to keep them?

by Long Island 7285

They always collect the non card tickets, metrocard tickets they usally keep. if you have money on the ticket there not aloud to take the ticket as it would be"stealing" your metrocard fare. look at it in plane sight and with logic, you get the metrocard additive for what ever reason it's your half of the ticket to do what you want till you empty it, who is any LIRR or MN employee period to tell you when and how you should use your ticket.. this sounds like something political? Clem/ anyone in the know, can you spread some insight on this?

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Metro card Ticketsv are supposed to be given back, since the passenger can still use them on the bus and subway.

by Clem

Yes, you must state that you have unused Metrocard value on the card, then the trainman will cancel the ticket and return it to you. At least that's what the taraff and the conductors' policy says.

If you write to the railroad, you should get a refund of the amount you claim to be unused. Just be sure to include all the specifics.

Clem

oh

by Trains

It's ok, I got it back, I just got a dirty look from the conductor. He then told me to "not to try to use it again." I said I won't, because that's dishonest, I can't speak for other people though. I just thought it was funny that he claimed I had to use all the value of the MetroCard before my final trip, it's kind of hard to do that if you live in the city and took a trip out to the island.

by iamchris9119

On a lot of trips I take around LI, I like to keep the tickets as a memory. Every time I ask to keep the ticket, they're completely fine with it, and I've gotten no bad looks or questions. I have around 25 tickets. The few webtickets I've gotten, they won't even collect. I have no money on the metrocard, and I tell them they can have it and they said to throw it out myself.

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: As one who collects tickets myself and has many LIRR tickets,the MTA for some reason decided to use Metrocard stock to issue Web Tickets. They are just like the majority of the Metrocard monthly stock - which do not have any money value on them but allow you to add value if need be. I have rarely been turned down to keep tickets for my collection when I ask - but I have noticed as LIRR tickets evolve since when I first started using the RR in the 70s each "Generation" of tickets is less interesting and collectable than the previous issue. With the current ticket stock everything has gotten sort of monotonous and I am frankly tired of seeing PAC MAN on everything. Other railroads tickets have gotten boring as time has evolved but there are some notable exceptions - look under Railroadiana - Paper - Tickets and passes on EBAY for some examples of better collectables. MACTRAXX

by Trains

Another question: What are do those yellow boxes with numbers and the black triangles pointing to them mean? I'm assuming the black arrows have something to do with the amount of rides the ticket is good for.

by iamchris9119

I know the arrow up with P means it's peak, and a downward O means off peak, but how do you read the yellow boxes???

by newkirk

I've purchased those round trip tickets with two subway rides printed on Metrocard stock from the TVM. On the return trip the conductor or trainman attemtps to take it, I tell them I still have one subway ride on it.

They comply and I keep the ticket for my collection. Nothting wrong here, the regular one way or round trip ticket NOT printed on Metrocard stock are always collected by the conductor or trainman.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The railroad pretty much wants us to be "customer Friendly" so anytime someone wants to keep a ticket as a reciept, or a souvenir, or anything like that, I usually let them. as long as the ticket is cancelled :-)