Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Amtrak7

What happened on the Waterbury Branch today? 10:08am out of Waterbury was bused due to "disabled train in the vicinity of Derby Shelton", then the rest of the day was bused. Did somebody derail?
  by runningwithscalpels

Where do people keep getting that idea? You're not the first person who I've heard come to that conclusion. I mean I don't work for Metro North or anything but perhaps they just didn't have a spare mini-bomb set hanging around in New Haven.

This morning's alert email said something about slippery rail too, so maybe they just need to take Waterworld for a spin up the branch first?

Even though it is Waterbury, I feel like given the general public feeling about Metro North lately, the media would be all over a derailment like white on rice.
  by Amtrak7

Normally, a disabled train, track condition, or equipment problems that last longer than typical (several hours), especially one that lasts multiple days (as this one is, with the busing continuing this morning) is how the MTA announces a (very minor) derailment. NYC Subway is known for this.
  by runningwithscalpels

Fair enough.

It is Waterbury though, so logic doesn't always apply though ;)
  by theozno

I'm curious to know what it is myself. an explination of a "disabled train" for all of Saturday is making me curious for what the hell happened? train wheel fall off or something?
  by fl9m2004

If it was in the vicitnity of derby-shelton then I'm sure the passengers where probably in the rear 3 cars thats my guess
Because correct me if I'm wrong but every platform with the exception of Waterbury, Beacon Falls, and Bridgeport are lower ones
And correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't a sle set run light to Derby-Shelton and couple up and move the train
  by Amtrak7

The first roundtrip of the day yesterday appeared to run as trains (unless the northbound is the disabled train in question). Any freights normally use that window between the first and second roundtrips?
  by DutchRailnut

are we done with conspiracies ??? the train broke, and no other train was available.
and no there are no freight trains on branch on weekends.
  by freightguy

Re: Waterbury incident
by theozno » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:18 am

I'm curious to know what it is myself. an explination of a "disabled train" for all of Saturday is making me curious for what the hell happened? train wheel fall off or something

Close enough
  by runningwithscalpels

FL9 - Waterbury is the only branch station with a high level platform. (I'm not counting Bridgeport). Beacon Falls is barely a bus shelter. What does passenger placement have to do with anything? It was probably a mini anyway, and I've been on Waterbury maxis with one car open. Does it matter? Not really!

Why would they waste time/money/diesel running SLE equipment to move a dead train when Metro North has their own equipment to use????
  by NHAirLine

DutchRailnut wrote:are we done with conspiracies ??? the train broke, and no other train was available.
and no there are no freight trains on branch on weekends.
No other train on a weekend? You've got to be kidding me. They're got SLE sets, and all sorts of other equipment on the system they could have used. That's just pathetic. Although then again, no one seems to know why the Waterbury branch exists on weekends (or maybe at all), so I doubt anybody really missed the service...
  by Jeff Smith

I heard from an anonymous source that a train went all Paul Simon on us "slip slidin' away"...
  by NH2060

Jeff Smith wrote:I heard from an anonymous source that a train went all Paul Simon on us "slip slidin' away"...
Well it does happen "the nearer your destination"... ;-)
  by DutchRailnut

Correct train went in Emergency and slid for quite a distance flattening a wheel set on CDOT #125, the Engine had to be moved on a wheel set dolly to Harmon.