Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by ajt

Anyone with inside knowledge of the Wassaic equipment cycles? The few weekend through trains would suggest FL9s/FP10 would not be assigned to those, but does that filter to the adjacent runs as well?

by DutchRailnut

except for the tru trains all trains are F units on weekends.
its rare for a genny to be on mini in Brewster.

by ajt

Haven't seen any Gennies on mini's to Wassaic, but lots on maxi's on weekends and off-peak weekdays, so that got me to wondering if there were cycles going on, or just maxi substitutions due to breakdowns.

by DutchRailnut

On weekends there are two maxi trips in afternoon to go to gct.
fl9's and f10's are no longer used on any trains other than mini's.

by njt4172

I'm looking to go photograph on the Upper Harlem lines tonight.....When do the mini bombs run??? There are 2 mini sets correct???

Thanks,
Steve

by roee

Mini's Maxi's.. Mini bombs... I'm pretty well informed when it comes to train operations and what not... (easpically freight stuff) and I know the ACMU's from the M1 and M3 and I know the Genny's from the FL9's etc... But what exactly is a mini bomb (and I guess there are maxi as well)?? I've always wondered that.. but didn't want to come off as too much of a newbie...

by Otto Vondrak

Mini- two- or three-car train.
Maxi - six- or seven-car train.

"Bom" or "Bomb" is short for "Bombardier" who manufactured the original series of Shoreliner coaches for Metro-North and CDOT in 1984.

Right?

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

Harlem line only runs one Mini(shuttle train) it runs in afternoon till about 5pm and sits in Put Jct for few hours during the rush hour. it starts running again at around 9pm again

by roee

Otto Vondrak wrote:Mini- two- or three-car train.
Maxi - six- or seven-car train.

"Bom" or "Bomb" is short for "Bombardier" who manufactured the original series of Shoreliner coaches for Metro-North and CDOT in 1984.

-otto-
Ahh!! that makes so much sense. Thanks for the info.

by mkm4

DutchRailnut wrote:Harlem line only runs one Mini(shuttle train) it runs in afternoon till about 5pm and sits in Put Jct for few hours during the rush hour. it starts running again at around 9pm again
From what I've seen, it start's in the morning on the 7:35 am run.