• Walkway Over the Hudson - Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge

• General discussion related to Rail Trails and rail-related recreation nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails and rail-related recreation nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

by DutchRailnut

Those transmission lines are live, not to long ago a member of walkway over hudson got severly injured when mounting navigation light and when a cord he was using got to near the high voltage cables.

by Hudson Terminus

If I remember right, that accident was back in 2000. Did those involved not kill the power on those lines eventually?

Are those Central Hudson electric transmission lines? If so, why are/were they still live? CH did bore under the river for a cable in the 90's, yes?

I've got to believe that those bracket arms holding the transmission equipment is a load on the bridge that could be eliminated.

by DutchRailnut

They are also a source of income for organization I believe. the load of a few transmission lines is probably a lot less than shortest train ever to go over that bridge.

by Hudson Terminus

Very true. If they're going to put a concrete surface up on the bridge deck they're probably not worried about those lines.

I was surprised that the artist's rendering had the arms/brackets still on the bridge.

by Noel Weaver

Hudson Terminus wrote:Very true. If they're going to put a concrete surface up on the bridge deck they're probably not worried about those lines.

I was surprised that the artist's rendering had the arms/brackets still on the bridge.
I don't think the power lines on the PO bridge have been used in quite
some time. Seems to me that they are tied to something on the east end
of the bridge or near the east end.
Noel Weaver

by Maybrook fan

If I remember correctly the walkway worker was hurt when something contacted power lines under the bridge near the river line. Central Hudson moved there lines off the bridge and put them under the river quite some time back.

by b&m617

The power lines on the bridge are severed on both ends; if you look at them they are floppin' in the breeze where they clipped 'em. Concrete deck on the bridge?? Wood would be expensive enough....There's not enough $$$$ in the world to make this pipe dream happen. They also want to have an elevator on the Pok side to access. More $$ and a lot of it. Oh, by the way, this will make it really easy for the drug dealers that come up here on metro north to get across the river and ply their wares in Highland. The crime rate on the approach to the bridge is so high that a city cop sits on the ROW almost constantly. Thanks to Cozean, Steinhaus and Lafuente, the tracks were torn up in '05.
Paint the bridge, you say?? It took 68,000 gals of paint to paint it the first time and leadbased paint over a municipal water source?? It will take more that a bunch of homeowners with paint cans and brushes.. And the group said that it had done an inspection of the submerged piers?? I know a pilot who had a commercial navigation license that had done a detailed underwater inspection of the piers with the coast guard years back; said the piers were eroded and scoured. Don't think the $5,000 inspection they did a few years ago would involve divers and underwater cameras. This inspection must be out there for perusal someplace.

Sorry, this ain't gonna happen. And as I drive up the potholed road to my overtaxed home, I really don't want to see my tax dollars squandered on something thats not gonna get finished....good idea though... :P

I feel better now...

Work safe
derail :-D
  by gawlikfj

A Engineering inspection of the Poukeepsie Bridge began in mid-September and should last 8 to 9 weeks. A crew of 10 people set up camp near the bridge & will look for corrosion and any other potential problems. This is one of several bridges being singled out for a rigorous inspection following the Interstate highway collapse in Minnesota this past August.

by Noel Weaver

As the abandoned railroad bridge in Poughkeepsie is serving no real
purpose and is not in use at the present time, I suspect that the inspection
is taking place on the highway bridge at this time.
Noel Weaver
  by gawlikfj

The article does say "The Poukeepsie Railroad Bridge " my error.
This is one of several Railroad bridges being singled out for a rigorous inspection.
Could it have something to do with making the bridge a walkway ?
I don't know I'm typing what I'm reading .

by Jeff Smith

Can you link the article and quote an excerpt? Thanks.

by gawlikfj

It is in the November 2007 Railpace , On page 46, Under the CSX Topic.

by RussNelson

Noel Weaver wrote:...the abandoned railroad bridge in Poughkeepsie is serving no real purpose ...
Hmph! It's beautiful, Noel! Isn't that enough to justify its existance?

Plus, I look forward to someday being able to bicycle from Maybrook to Hopewell Junction.
  by Bernard Rudberg

Here is a clip from the Walkway web site.

The Dyson Foundation will fund a $1.5 million engineering and design study that will serve as the first critical step in the plan to transform the former Poughkeepsie-Highland Railroad Bridge into a lofty pedestrian park spanning the Hudson River.

Bernie Rudberg
  by gawlikfj

Thank You Bernie for clearing this up. I suspected it might be with the walkway and glad you stopped any rumors from starting.