Railroad Forums 

• Walkway Over the Hudson - Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#155964  by Ale Rider

Is the bridge open?

This might be a good day trip for an upcoming vacation.

Thanks!

Ed
 #155992  by Bernard Rudberg

No, the bridge is not open to the public. The walkway group is working to open it someday but they have a long way to go.

The highway bridge just south of the RR bridge has a pedestrian walkway but it is not as spectacular.

Bernie Rudberg
 #195682  by Agent at Clicquot

I'd like to see the walkway group prevail, though I wonder about the viability of the concept of this bridge as a walkway.

I envision people walking out onto the bridge and through fear or fatigue not being able to get back. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear of a few lost souls taking a short cut to the river.

Also, what happens if a thunderstorm pops up with folks mid-span?

I think the only way a walking path would work is if it were enclosed ... primarily to protect folks from the wind & rain.

* JB *
 #197940  by gawlikfj

Thats good news but, I'd still like to see all the tracks put back and trains running across the bridge.

#197954  by Hudson Terminus

I'd like to see it too, but there's not enough money in the world to make that happen, not to mention get people to follow through on that. There's no practical reason anymore to use the bridge for normal traffic, and so much work would need to be done to the bridge and the approaches.

At this point, just a walkway partially accross the bridge is probably the most likely scenario, and even that's been tough to accomplish thusfar over the last 15 years or so.
 #198003  by gawlikfj

I know I guess I was just doing my Christmas Wish.

#198055  by vector_one75

I understand the problems and rail connections mentioned before by others, but what I had suggested for a "railroad" track on the bridge as part of the walkway would not necessarily require track connections or even full locomotive weight. A track on the bridge from abutment to abutment (plus just beyond) could be used to run a lightweight cable car (a'la San Francisco) without any engines using cables in a slotted conduit between the rails. It need not look "heritage", could be modern enclosed but of a similar grip mechanism of the SF cable cars, but if speeds are low enough, perhaps a traditional open-sided cablecar might sufice too. But given the length of the bridge, many sightseers to "walk" the bridge who would be elderly or disabled would be able to enjoy the views rather than have to actually walk which may be too mucj for them, and even those fleet of fooot would also enjoy a "ride" on the bridge. A few stops along the way could be done to have a bit of seating to sit and take it in, then return or contnue and return to another stop or back to whichever end. While I appreciate that even a walkway will require money and effort, theadditional track and structural work to provide a light weight non-engined cable car might still be possible.

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
Perth, Western Australia
 #296309  by robmcalpine

http://pojonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... /609190325
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Bridge walkway advances - City clears tax liens to allow grants
By Michael Valkys- Poughkeepsie Journal

A group working to convert the long-closed Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge into a pedestrian walkway got some needed help from city officials Monday night. The Common Council voted to remove about $500,000 in tax liens on the bridge. The move officially gives the nonprofit Walkway Over the Hudson unfettered title to the landmark span, allowing the group to receive an expected $155,000 in state grants. Walkway board chairman and local attorney Fred Schaeffer said the group is preparing to select a consultant to help develop a comprehensive plan for the bridge, closed since a 1974 fire. "We're really making a lot of progress," Schaeffer said before Monday's council meeting of Walkway's efforts to open the bridge to the public.

#408718  by tech2187

great pics... from what you can see is the bridge really handling the aging process well or is it wishful thinking of those who would like to save it?

#408743  by Hudson Terminus

GREAT GREAT pictures. Thanks!

A few of those shots do indeed show just how much is left to be done before the bridge is open to the public.

That steel grating isnt nearly enough for my acrophobia!
 #408773  by Bernard Rudberg

If you talk to the Walkway group you will find out that they are determined to have it open to the public by 2009. They are working to have the bridge be the center piece of the 2009 celebration of the anniversary of Henry Hudson sailing up the river in 1609.

With luck they might make it.

Bernie Rudberg

#408777  by Hudson Terminus

Bernie,

In the third photo, it looks like WOtH has taken the old wooden planking from the original walkway and laid it between the rails. How far out does this extend? Is the plan to put the grating all over the deck? Are they planning on removing the rail?

Had to be an awesome experience up there. More details about your trip would be great!
 #408904  by Bernard Rudberg

The old bridge deck extends almost all the way across. The fire in 1974 destroyed about 700 feet of it on the Poughkeepsie end of the bridge. The entire bridge is more than a mile long.

In talking to the Walkway people, the plan is to build a new concrete deck for hiking and bicycling. The steel grill is not permanent. It is held together with hundreds of metal hose clamps.

Our annual CNE Historical tour for next April will be a section of the Maybrook Line. We are in the early planning stages but it looks like we will cover from Hopewell Junction to Maybrook. We usually have about 100 railfans on two buses and the price includes coffee, muffins and lunch etc. Each rider gets a copy of the guide book for that section. ( I write the books ). You can get a sense of what we cover by browsing the other sections of the web site.

If you are interested, send me your E-Mail address and I will put you on our mailing list for next April's tour. My address can be found by clicking the "email" button below.

My name and address is also on the web site.

Bernie Rudberg

#411014  by Dieter

I'm IMPRESSED! Thanks for sharing!

Are the electrical transmission lines still active, or are there any comm cables using the bridge these days?

D/