Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Retroboy

Did the Central Islip waldbaums wearhouse ever see rail service? if it did when did it start and when was service stoped.

Also would anyone know if King Kullen ever saw railserivce?

by Legio X

In the same vein, did'nt King kullen have a warehouse in Hicksville, just west of the Hicksville Yard? Was that a rail customer too?

by lirrmike

I believe Waldbaum's did get rail deliveries up till the early '80's.

Mike

by JoeLIRR

What bout the Waldbaum's on the Lynbrook/RVC border. it has the trestel over Merrick rd. w/tracks still intack only needs a new switch put.

does any one know about the railservice that this Waldbaum's may have had at one time

by DutchRailnut

since were talking freight on LIRR this should be on NY&A board specialy since were talking about switches being put back in.

by lirrmike

Dutch,

You are right, but these questions deal with when the LIRR handled their own freight.
In RVC those tracks served LILCO, to deliver transformers.

Mike

by Dave Keller

These guys are asking freight questions concerning the past: service to sidings that are no longer in use, or sidings that no longer exist.

The fact that someone suggests briefly in passing that a defunct siding could be re-activated by re-installing a switch doesn't mean it's not pertinent to the LIRR's board and should be addressed on the NY&A.

I see all kinds of questions in this board that one could determine belonged elsewhere, however I see nothing wrong with these questions being asked here.

I only wish I had the factual answers to provide.

Dave Keller
  by N340SG

I used to work for King Kullen for 10 years. The grocery warehouse was in Westbury, and did have freight car siding. (The warehouse was way too puny to handle 50+ stores.)
Several years ago, the King closed the grocery warehouse, fired all the union warehousemen, and contracted out for groceries.

Side note: The King used to get its produce from Hinsch [sp?], which was across the street from what is now HMC.

Tom

by LI Loco

JoeLIRR wrote:What bout the Waldbaum's on the Lynbrook/RVC border. it has the trestel over Merrick rd. w/tracks still intack only needs a new switch put.

does any one know about the railservice that this Waldbaum's may have had at one time
LIRR and Railway Express used to have a small freight/express yard on the sight now occupied by Waldbaum's, etc. on the RVC/Lynbrook border. There were about five tracks plus an express depot. One track between the depot and the roadbed for the Babylon branch had third rail, I believe; I recall seeing an express motor (MB-54??) parked there.

The yard, etc., was torn up in the late 1960s or early 1970s, I think, when the Waldbaums was built.

There also was a spur off the westbound track that served a coal dealer (had an elevator with several silos) and some LILCO property. That track crossed Ocean Ave. at grade.

by JoeLIRR

LI Loco,

Thanks for the info, it really clears things up.

BTW. do yo know anything about the freight service on the WH branch for a cement facility. I also seen some reminance of where the hoppers may have dumped the cement into the plant.

i seen a pic from'52 witch still shows the plant in existance.

by LI Loco

I don't recall the cement plant. I do recall a small freight yard in W. Hempstead (similar in size to the old Lynbrook/Rockville Centre yard) on the site of what is now the Western Beef store. Also, there is a lumber yard between Valley Stream and Westwood stations that received freight car delivery until 2002 or 2003.

by JoeLIRR

I remember the Lumber yd between VS & Westwood its bout 4 blocks from my house i used to go there as a kid and watch the mp15's switch out the boxcars @ centerbeams.

they also had a big fire a few yrs ago i beleive 4or5 yrs ago don't exatly remember. but i have not seen freight there since the fire. now when i pass it the side where the trains were has been re done ans looks as it the tracks have been paved over. I also dont remember seeing NYA trains there either or it coulda been before they were repainter into green.

now i wonder what doomed the use of trains to import the lumber to that location.

by lirrmike

Keep this going. I just love the history! Thanks to all.

Mike
  by dukeoq

1. Did the Central Islip waldbaums wearhouse ever see rail service?
Could this have been the old Hill’s supermarkets warehouse?
Hill’s took rail delivery at several locations, including CI
2. Also would anyone know if King Kullen ever saw railserivce?
King Kullen was a major customer in the 1960s at what is now, I believe Waste Management
3. WH branch for a cement facility?
Cement hoppers were off-loaded just east of Valley, on the north side.
(let me explain to those who are new to the characteristics---WH is east--not north of Valley.)
4. small freight yard in W. Hempstead
Intercounty Bakers took carloads of flour alongside WH station.
The team yard was probably used for MW equipment
5. now i wonder what doomed the use of trains to import the lumber to that location?
We are talking of Baisley Lumber here.
NY&A serviced them until the fire and from what I understan, they moved to a different location, out east.
Anyone with more info on them?? Let’s hear it.
JJ Earl

by dukeoq

There also was a spur off the westbound track that served a coal dealer (had an elevator with several silos) and some LILCO property. That track crossed Ocean Ave. at grade.

I think that I referred to this in a recent post that this was our last set-off on the Babylon Freight. The siding was Sunrise Coal.
Next stop--Holban Yard--and make way for the morning rush.
Thankfully, we no longer depend on coal to make our heat or energy, and this makes us all breathe a whole lot easier.
JJ Earl