• WAG #C374 caboose

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

Do any photos of this Wellsville, Addison and Galeton caboose exist? I know it's an ex Baltimore & Ohio class I-1. Thanks.

Charles
  by BR&P

Charles, I believe I have seen a pic of that in B&O days, but don't think I ever saw it pained for WAG. It may have been, or it's possible they never repainted it.
  by lvrr325

Somebody had a slide on eBay some months ago that sold for big money with a WAG GE, wood boxcar, and caboose all in orange and cream (or white) paint, but I didn't catch the number on the caboose.
  by nydepot

Thanks. The consensus is C374 was only ever in red and didn't last long.
  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:Somebody had a slide on eBay some months ago that sold for big money with a WAG GE, wood boxcar, and caboose all in orange and cream (or white) paint, but I didn't catch the number on the caboose.
It's amazing what some slides sell for these days. Had we known what to shoot, a few dollars spent back then would pay big dividends today.

Charles, while I can't come up with a pic at the moment, in some box or another I do have a few bits of info on the caboose when it was still in B&O ownership, in the form of B&O correspondence between various officials. For example I think - not positive - there was correspondence noting that it still was riding on arch bar trucks and discussing a possible change-out. Also may have been details on air brakes and painting dates. If it helps, I can do some digging.
  by nydepot

I am curious. It seems, from Mike Schleigh, that it only ever sat in the yard but was repainted red, no WAG lettering. Some suggest it was used within the long Galeton yard limits (basically in town). No road action ever captured.
  by BR&P

nydepot wrote:I am curious. It seems, from Mike Schleigh, that it only ever sat in the yard but was repainted red, no WAG lettering. Some suggest it was used within the long Galeton yard limits (basically in town). No road action ever captured.
Bear in mind a couple things. First is that the former B&S part of the B&O around Galeton was isolated from the B&O proper after the floods in 1942. While some equipment did apparently migrate back and forth - presumably over the Erie - the stuff there was semi-stranded. And if it turned out that over time they had one more caboose than they needed, being an I-1, a relatively old caboose, maybe there was just no need to send it elsewhere.

Second, I don't know whether the WAG kept the same operating pattern as the B&O had just prior to the sale. But it's possible that the B&O DID use that caboose for something, and the WAG streamlined things just enough to make it surplus.

This is all guesswork.
  by lvrr325

Okay, I was incorrect. While I can't seem to pull up the ebay listing itself, a google search did net the image from the listing, showing engine 1500 with matching boxcar and a red, wood caboose.
  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:Okay, I was incorrect. While I can't seem to pull up the ebay listing itself, a google search did net the image from the listing, showing engine 1500 with matching boxcar and a red, wood caboose.
Is that the one taken in front of a depot? I can't get the thumbnail to open but if that's the one, it appears to be one of the former I-10 cabooses, with the cupola painted cream.
  by Don

I checked my copy of Ed Lewis' WAG the sole leather line booklet & FWIW as of 10/71, the Wag had 5 caboose's. He lists 2654, 2640 &2620 (wood sheathed ex BR&P) & 103 & 104 steel ex EL. I have a slide of 2654 taken in the late 60's. Paint scheme is orange/red body w/cream cupola & trim. No mention of a 374 caboose. There are a few pix on Elwoods site of both the steel & wood types.
Don
  by BR&P

Don wrote:I checked my copy of Ed Lewis' WAG the sole leather line booklet & FWIW as of 10/71, the Wag had 5 caboose's. He lists 2654, 2640 &2620 (wood sheathed ex BR&P) & 103 & 104 steel ex EL. I have a slide of 2654 taken in the late 60's. Paint scheme is orange/red body w/cream cupola & trim. No mention of a 374 caboose. There are a few pix on Elwoods site of both the steel & wood types.
Don
I believe, but not positive, the 2654 was the last wooden one in service. I think by late 60's - early 70's only the 2 steel cabs were used, perhaps except for an extra or a work train, I don't know.

2620 is/was owned by John Rigas, who encountered legal issues and served some time.
2640 is privately owned somewhere near Belmont NY, in need of TLC the last I heard
2654 is part of an ice cream stand near Manhattan PA

The 2 EL cabooses went to a Salzberg operation in Louisiana as far as I recall.

No idea on the C374, probably either went into the woods as someone's hunting camp, or was scrapped at Galeton.