• VRE staff recommends 7% mid-year fare increase

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

The VRE Operations Board is being asked to recommend that the Commissions authorize the Chief Executive Officer to implement a 7% mid-year fare increase for FY 2009, effective January 1, 2009.

At the public hearings, their were more negative than positive comments on proposed fare increases

Fuel costs is their biggest expense.

http://www.vre.org/about/Ops_board_item ... re_Inc.pdf
  by Tommy Meehan

Dave thanks for linking. Reading the report I find the increase could've been as high as 15%, that 7% will bring in an additional $600,000 in 2009. In 2010 another fare hike, up to 10%, is possible as well.

They list three major factors causing the increase in expenses. Fuel, a wage hike for Amtrak employees and an increase in the cost of maintaining the diesel fleet.

Interesting that the increase in ridership of about 700 passengers a day above projections (15,400 vs. 14,700) is expected to produce $2.8 additional revenue in 2009 the same amount fuel costs exceeded budget in 2008. That's encouraging.

Another interesting point was that the funds originally budgeted for debt service on the Kawasaki passenger cars will be used instead to help pay for the new locomotives.

Finally, there were almost twice as many negative comments from the public directed towards the possibility of cutting mid-day train service than raising fares (194 to 106).

The Commonwealth is pretty conservative and VRE only serves a small portion of the state. I think those facts are reflected in the series of fare hikes proposed. VRE will never pay its own way but riders will have to occasionally bite the bullet if they want continued service. But anyone who's been around the area or used the service already knows that!

Very interesting reading.
  by realtype

At least VRE is actually considering a fare increase, unlike MARC which is slashing service left, right, and center. I don't expect anyone to like either fare increases or service reductions, but the clientele of MARC could definitely respond better to the former, espceially considering that in all 5 years I've been taking MARC the fares haven't risen a dime, and VRE has risen fares in that timeframe.