Railroad Forums 

• Virgin PTC: Miami - West Palm - Orlando Selects WABTEC

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1579848  by Jadebenn

Strange. Foreign power on the FEC is the only reason I can think of, then.

I must admit, as much as I'm glad they're keeping the ATC around (engineering nerd in me likes these kinds of systems), I'm not sure what benefit they hope to get from it.
 #1579906  by lordsigma12345

One issue that exists with I-ETMS integrated with cab signals is that if they are integrated I believe I-ETMS PTC will default enforce a restricted speed if it doesn't get a favorable cab code for an upcoming aspect change point in the database - so if cab signals are cut out I believe you end up stuck at restricted speed and basically having to cut out PTC entirely. I know on CSX's RF&P subdivision if they have any type of on board ATC issue that causes cab signals to have to be cut out they end up having to cut out PTC to travel a reasonable speed for this very reason. For subdivisions that have Cab signals without waysides they may have built in functionality to retrieve the Clear to next Interlocking signal status from the WIU at the home signals and then allow proceeding to the next home signal at speed which would get you around that in that type of territory - but RF&P is cab signals with waysides so they don't have C signals.

The above may be one reason for them not integrating. But it does result in a more expensive and complicated installation.