Railroad Forums 

• Some Former Comet I's have run their last...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1020677  by ApproachMedium

Post on facebook today says they will be going to "that railroad" in PA. Coming from the cordius creek railroad facebook page itself, not a rumor. The cars will be stored there until they can get them over to PA.
 #1020718  by glennk419

It was fun to speculate while it lasted, at least they're not turning into razor blades (at least not for now). Just hope nobody messes with them while they're waiting to be moved.
 #1020729  by Jtgshu

I think there is still more to the story - as far as I know the Cordius Creek already bought them sometime early last year from NJT - it was posted and approved in the board of directors meeting - 220,000 dollars for the 11 of them sticks in my head. Shortly after, the cars were moved to Raritan, IIRC. (after being at the MMC for a little while after coming back from AMT)

4 were taken out about 4 months ago or so, I saw them being interchanged with CSX at Center St. I dunno where they went.

Then the 7 remaining cars were put up for sale on the Sterling Rail website. If the Cordius Creek already owns them, why were/are they listed for sale? Are they the ones that are selling them?

I understand that the Sterling website might not be up to date, but they are very detailed and recent photos (you can see that its raritan yard through the windows of the coach) and someone went through some effort to get all the correct info and stats for the posting.

It really doesn't matter, in the grand scheme of things, nor is it really any of our business about the business deals or transactions as to what goes down, but it is fun to try to piece things together and speculate :)
 #1020730  by blockline4180

Jtgshu wrote: but it is fun to try to piece things together and speculate :)

I disagree!! It isn't fun to speculate when you already know what is happening with them!! I talk to the owner of Northern Central RR from time to time and he has stated they are his!!Is he lying to me????.... Why they are still on that Sterling website is beyond me, but most likely it is old and has not been updated! End of Story!
 #1020742  by Jtgshu

blockline4180 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: but it is fun to try to piece things together and speculate :)

I disagree!! It isn't fun to speculate when you already know what is happening with them!! I talk to the owner of Northern Central RR from time to time and he has stated they are his!!Is he lying to me????.... Why they are still on that Sterling website is beyond me, but most likely it is old and has not been updated! End of Story!
Block, hate to say it, but its never the end of story, until they are somewhere else doing what they were purchased to do, and even then, things might not be as they appear.....once the title to the cars is given to someone, THEN its the end of the story.

Some free advice - Ive said it before, Ill say it again and again, as its always true.....

"On the railroad, believe nothing what you hear and half of what you see"

Things change, and can change quickly. Always be weary when someone says something is "certain" or "definite" I know a lot of railfans want definite answers to things but anyone who works in the industry can say that you simply can't get them often. ("when is the 436/3372 moving?" "what are the numbers of the SD60s the NYSW is getting", "when is the CMSL gonna run" are just examples that pop into my head)

Who knows, maybe NJT moved them on their own to store them down on the Winslow Connecting to free of track space in Raritan (space in MMC is getting tight again, with the dual modes coming on the property and nothing leaving or going away) - Maybe they are still holding them, maybe whoever the owner is is testing the water to see what kind of cash they can get for them in this market. If a good offer comes back, maybe they will sell them, otherwise they will keep them...i dunno but its a possibility.

TRUST me when I say that what might have been told or reported to someone or some group or some organization/company can change in a drop of a hat....in some cases it leads to scrambling around trying to figure things out on the fly....and reporting "current" info to railfans is the LAST thing on any ones mind....
 #1020874  by ApproachMedium

There is no title for rail equipment, just bill of sale. As for the 4 cars that left recently they were purchased by Canada from the North central railway people. The info Blockline and I posted here about the cars is coming directly from the companies facebook page. I think they would know best about whats going on with their equipment than some railfan rumors and rumblings.
 #1020914  by Jtgshu

Well apparently things have changed. (Like I said above...) Corodus Creek/North Central Railway bought the cars from NJT. They sold 4 of them to Canada. Now the remaining 7 of them are on Sterling Rail. Seems pretty obvious that they are the ones listing the cars on Sterling.

I didn't see that posted on their facebook page.....

As a disclaimer, as most of you know, I don't go on facebook, I don't go to these various yahoo groups, I don't get involved with that nonsense. But North Central Railways page is public and i was able to see it without having to sign in to "the facebook" (yes I do have an account). But just because something is posted on facebook, doesn't mean that its 100 percent accurate. Im NOT saying that what was posted about the Comet 1s isn't accurate, im speaking in general. Im SURE all you "facebook'ers' know that, but sometimes it seems to be forgotten. Just because something is posted on facebook (or here, or the internet in general) doesn't mean that things won't change in the near or distant future, while not being updated in a timely manner......
 #1020939  by michaelk

Jtgshu wrote:Well apparently things have changed. (Like I said above...) Corodus Creek/North Central Railway bought the cars from NJT. They sold 4 of them to Canada. Now the remaining 7 of them are on Sterling Rail. Seems pretty obvious that they are the ones listing the cars on Sterling.

I didn't see that posted on their facebook page.....

As a disclaimer, as most of you know, I don't go on facebook, I don't go to these various yahoo groups, I don't get involved with that nonsense. But North Central Railways page is public and i was able to see it without having to sign in to "the facebook" (yes I do have an account). But just because something is posted on facebook, doesn't mean that its 100 percent accurate. Im NOT saying that what was posted about the Comet 1s isn't accurate, im speaking in general. Im SURE all you "facebook'ers' know that, but sometimes it seems to be forgotten. Just because something is posted on facebook (or here, or the internet in general) doesn't mean that things won't change in the near or distant future, while not being updated in a timely manner......
people dont always tell the exact truth, other times they withold info, sometimes they flat out lie.

When I was a kid I worked at a Stewart's Rootbeer stand (was next to the Freneau station on the Matawan - Freehold line and Conrail trains would sometimes stop for lunch- see made it relevant to RR). My friend's ( who also worked there) dad, saw an ad in a business paper listing the business for sale. He asked the owner, the guy flat out said it wasn't him selling he had no idea who put the ad in the paper. (there's what like 10 of those stands in all of NJ... there was no mistaking it but the owner swore up and down). We closed the place up for the winter like every year and then a couple months later i saw the owner working in a wendy's as a manager- he told me he was just keeping busy. Spring came around and my friend and i saw someone inside so we walked over to see the guy and arrange for our summer jobs. Sure enough it was a new owner inside.

I saw the original (to me) owner years later and we got to talking. He explained he had owned the place for like 20 years so just wanted a change- there was nothing nefarious. But he explained that he was afraid business would drop off if people knew he was selling the place and it would effect his sales price so he just felt he had to lie to us to protect his business dealings.