• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Kaback9

Only time will tell, unfourtanetly unless its ARC nothing seems to begoing on with cap projects.
  by danny700

I hear ya. ARC is getting all the dough while everything else in on the back burner. Hopefully, this will be an opportunity to get Middlesex on board with the proposed MOM Line and the Monmouth Junction route passed.
  by Bay Head Junction

I feel that we should make it an OM line from Manchester, that's where the folks live who we want to use the train, and run it to Red Bank. The County (s) Free loaders (did i say that out loud) should fund it.

A turn of events did come about this passed week in favor of the MOM route with David's passing.

Build it and they will come.
  by Tom V

I feel that we should make it an OM line from Manchester, that's where the folks live who we want to use the train, and run it to Red Bank. The County (s) Free loaders (did i say that out loud) should fund it
That would lose the support of Monmouth County, Eastern Monmouth County is well served by the NJCL and Garden State Parkway. The Point of MOM is to bring rail service to Western Monmouth County and Ocean County:

Englishtown/Manalapan, Freehold, Howell etc.. The route 9 corridor.
  by Bay Head Junction

Maybe we could build the Red Bank Route now while the fight to get Middlesex County's approval for the other M part of the line.

Perhaps a tunnel in Rahway to allow access to the NEC South bound from the coast line.

With all the talk about the Atlantic City service that is to start in February 2009 I just thought I would add this post to the mix.

Re: What was fastest Jersey City-Atlantic City time?

Postby First Barnegat on Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:17 pm

JoeG wrote:I'm curious what the fastest time on the Jersey Central was for the trip between Jersey City and Atlantic City. Anyone here know?

CNJ Timetable 103 dated Sep 30, 1934 shows 2 hours and 41 minutes Atlantic City to Jersey City, Sunday train 4262 northbound, the Blue Comet. Other, weekday and Saturday Blue Cometswere about 2 hours and 47 minutes in the same schedule. A May 26, 1929 schedule shows similar times.

Whoosh!

Artistic renderinghere.

Route southbound was main line CNJ from Jersey City to Elizabethport; then onto what is now the Chemical Coast Secondary, through Perth Amboy; NY&LB from South Amboy through Matawan to Red Bank; CNJ Southern Division from Red Bank through Lakehurst and Whitings, to Winslow Jct., the junction with the Atlantic City RR (later PRSL); to Atlantic City. Map here.

(Before the G-3 Pacific-powered Blue Comet, CNJ ran an Atlantic City Special, circa 1916. Probably Atlantic-powered, doubt it was as fast as the Blue Comet!)

First Barnegat

* Website
  by Douglas John Bowen

Build the Red Bank route first and, in NJ-ARP's very considered view, MOM won't get built. Period. Quick, cheap, and dirty: that's the Red Bank option, and that's even before that option smacks up against its own very real anti-rail sentiment.

For the champions of the "Red Bank" route, and the non-existent "Oops! Where's Matawan?" option, the focus is (background theme, please) a "one-seat ride to Manhattan." True, the most recent "go to Red Bank" effort claims to have the destinations interests of Red Bank itself at heart -- a clever page stolen from NJ-ARP's own playbook, and we're impressed, to be sure! -- but the author gets around to saying Red Bank really is just a waystation on the (rail) road to Gotham.

The real MOM serves New Brunswick. The others don't. But if that cannot count for anything in the eyes of "must make Manhattan" devotees, then NJ-ARP must simply note MOM's catchment area for the Manhattan-bound is far greater than the other option (or options, if "Oops!" is treated seriously).
  by Matt Johnson

The real problem with the Red Bank option is it misses Freehold, which is a key destination for MOM. Unless, of course, they plan to double back along the OOS portion of the Freehold Secondary, but that route would be so indirect that it wouldn't be feasible.
  by Douglas John Bowen

We think New Brunswick is the real prize, but Matt Johnson is absolutely correct, in our view: Freehold matters, too. We know it matters to Monmouth County pro-rail voices, that's for sure.

Freehold, theoretically, could be served by "Oops!" NJ-ARP doesn't count on that.
  by Kaback9

Freehold is the county seat and deserves rail service! The only two options I see are either the Matawan route( I like but don't see happening) and the Monmouth Jct route. The Red Bank route make no sense if you plan to serve Western Monmouth County as well.
  by danny700

Douglas John Bowen wrote:Build the Red Bank route first and, in NJ-ARP's very considered view, MOM won't get built. Period. Quick, cheap, and dirty: that's the Red Bank option, and that's even before that option smacks up against its own very real anti-rail sentiment.

For the champions of the "Red Bank" route, and the non-existent "Oops! Where's Matawan?" option, the focus is (background theme, please) a "one-seat ride to Manhattan." True, the most recent "go to Red Bank" effort claims to have the destinations interests of Red Bank itself at heart -- a clever page stolen from NJ-ARP's own playbook, and we're impressed, to be sure! -- but the author gets around to saying Red Bank really is just a waystation on the (rail) road to Gotham.

The real MOM serves New Brunswick. The others don't. But if that cannot count for anything in the eyes of "must make Manhattan" devotees, then NJ-ARP must simply note MOM's catchment area for the Manhattan-bound is far greater than the other option (or options, if "Oops!" is treated seriously).
Douglas, with David Crabiel's passing a few weeks ago, how good are the chances now that the Monmouth Junction route gets approved? As you know, Crabiel was the biggest opponent of the Monmouth Junction route along with the 3 towns (Jamesburg, South Brunswick, and Monroe).
  by Tom V

Build the Red Bank route first and, in NJ-ARP's very considered view, MOM won't get built.
I whole heartedly agree, all of the efforts need to be put in bringing a Western Monmouth County MOM to fruition. FIrst and foremost is the Monmouth Jct alignment, second choice would be the Matawan alignment. Red Bank does noting for Monmouth County as it just duplicates existing infrastructure in the NJCL and Garden State Parkway, MOM is needed as an alternative to the Route 9 corridor in Western Monmouth County. It has to include Freehold and either Manalapan/Englishtown (Monmouth Jct) or Marlboro/Morganville (Matawan), I'm 33 yrs old and lived in Marlboro, Manalapan and now Freehold for 30 of those 33 years. Trust me a Western Monmouth County MOM alignment is needed desperately, more so than many other proposed NJ Transit Capital projects.
  by PullmanCo

Trust me a Western Monmouth County MOM alignment is needed desperately
If it were that desperately needed, wouldn't the residents of western Monmouth County be calling for it louder than anyone on this message board?
more so than many other proposed NJ Transit Capital projects
How many others?
  by Kaback9

PullmanCo wrote:
Trust me a Western Monmouth County MOM alignment is needed desperately
If it were that desperately needed, wouldn't the residents of western Monmouth County be calling for it louder than anyone on this message board?
more so than many other proposed NJ Transit Capital projects
How many others?
As a resident of Western Monmouth County, I can tell you when there is a meeting regarding MOM more people show up then Transit anticipates, the residents for the most part want the Monmouth Jct route, some of us my self included would rather see the Matawan route used but see that its not possible especially due to the poor housing planning in my hometown of Marlboro and the poor planning in Freehold, there is a development that literaly has the ROW as a grade crossing in the middle as it stands now.
  by Tom V

My other love besides railroading is aviation, I was browsing a PPT about Lakehurst NAES expansion when I came across a slide that depicted NJ Transit's proposed MOM rail yard on the grounds of the Naval Base. It's a weird spot, within the fence line of the base. I've seen them park old NJ Transit equipment there that were used for anti-terrorism training by NJ and Federal law enforcement, they've also been using that spur on Lakehurst to remove containamated soil from the BOMARC missile site on Lakehurst's Western boundary with Route 539.

Here's the Powerpoint, the slide showing the MOM yard s labled "Non aviation Effects"

http://www.planning.co.ocean.nj.us/jlus ... -10-08.pdf
  by CJPat

The soil removal was completed by my former company, Shaw Environmental in 2004 as you can see in this Navy Press Release http://www.lakehurst.navy.mil/NLWeb/PAO ... nsport.pdf
Interesting note from the Press Release is in the last paragraph. They mention the concept of using the siding for Rapid Deployment of military equipment shipments from Ft Dix to the Earle NWS Pier.