PL42AC thread

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

sullivan1985

Re: PL42AC thread

Post by sullivan1985 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 pm

ALP45DP 4515 wrote:
trainster78 wrote:I guess since we’ve managed to bring this old thread back, we can talk about why NJT is still keeping 4020 around..
Per the thread "PL42 4020", 4020 will be the first to go out for overhaul. Maybe one of the NJT confidants :wink: can help us?
steemtrayn wrote:I was told today that 4020 will be the first PL to be sent out for overhaul.Don't know when, or where.
Parts.

pateljones

Post by pateljones » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:31 am

Has any units gone out for rebuild? Any any rebuilds back to NJT?

CNJGeep

Post by CNJGeep » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:16 pm

pateljones wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:31 am
Has any units gone out for rebuild? Any any rebuilds back to NJT?
Uhhhh. No.
"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother." RIP D.C.

Dcell

Post by Dcell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 pm

NJT is buying Sprinter locomotives to replace the PL42ACs.

ApproachMedium

Post by ApproachMedium » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:09 am

Dcell wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 pm
every reason why i do not participate in the njt part of the forum anymore
No good deed goes unpunished.

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Guys, the PL42s aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They might be going through their midlife but they run fine. It doesn't say anything about replacing them.

ALP45DP 4515

Post by ALP45DP 4515 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Dcell wrote:
Not going to happen. If NJT were to buy anything to replace the PL42, it would be a BBD product and likely derivative of the ALP45DP. The PL42AC's are still relatively young in terms of a locomotive, not going anywhere anytime soon.

EuroStar

Post by EuroStar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:09 pm

ALP45DP 4515 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:18 pm
Dcell wrote:
Not going to happen. If NJT were to buy anything to replace the PL42, it would be a BBD product and likely derivative of the ALP45DP. The PL42AC's are still relatively young in terms of a locomotive, not going anywhere anytime soon.
Thank you. Dcell has likely mixed up the following two replacements:
  1. NJT is replacing the geeps with ALP45DPs. The order has already been placed.
  2. Metro-North and Amtrak (and LIRR) are going to eventually replace the P32ACs with a dual mode version of the Charger by Siemens. That dual mode version is still on the drawing board.
Additional research revealed to me that the misinformation is widely spread, even the wikipedia article on the Metro-North Rolling stock claims that Metro-North has ordered 15 Chargers for use West of Hudson. The information is supposedly sourced from a youtube video of a MTA board meeting which I have not seen, but the person who stated this is likely very confused himself and appears to not even work for the MTA.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:58 pm

MN will be part of the 4 party order of dual mode Chargers(Amtrak,MN,ConnDOT,and LIRR)
There was no mention of Chargers for WOH services.
If there are plans for replacing the F-40's,they would be units that NJT has in their fleet,as none of the WOH fleet cycles the Harmon shop,
only MMC.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Correct , replacing WofH power with Dual Modes would be pissing money up hill. no need for dual modes and no agreement to ever run WofH services into NYP.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Keep in mind only postings about new power WofH were made by Commuter council member. Not by any MTA member .
there is currently no plan to replace WofH power as it was recently all overhauled.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

ApproachMedium

Post by ApproachMedium » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 am

The charger is not on the drawing board, Siemens already has all their stuff together. Its just a matter of the railroads agreeing on everything since the 4 NYC region consortium gets their act together on what will meet everyones needs. Other options that were presented were all denied as nobody else was able to present a product that could do 125mph and was certified for it. Siemens product is certified and operates well at that speed. Also has probably one of the best accel times from a stop between other offerings and lower daily service cost.

NJT will likely NOT be replacing ANYTHING with dual modes. The dual modes will come in and fill the gaps for all the power they got rid of in the last few years that should NOT have been. The system runs on the edge of its seat every day with power. Failures are constant and things are falling apart. They dont have enough spares to pull things out of line to perform even small daily repairs so engines are running until they cant provide service anymore. The lack of cab cars has also been a major issue. Thankfully with a railroader finally at the head end of things, the comet ivs are finally doing some kind of testing to work the compatibility issues out with the dual modes. Hopefully this can be corrected and provide many much needed cabs for single level trainsets.

EuroStar

Post by EuroStar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:39 am

ApproachMedium wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 am
The charger is not on the drawing board, Siemens already has all their stuff together.
I didn't say that is was Siemens' drawing board :wink: . The customers' drawing board can be as bad or even worse than that of the manufacturer's, especially given that several agencies must agree on what really is relatively minor (but important) details.
ApproachMedium wrote:
NJT will likely NOT be replacing ANYTHING with dual modes. The dual modes will come in and fill the gaps for all the power they got rid of in the last few years that should NOT have been.
I hope you are right for the sake of all those people waiting for the train only to hear an announcement that it has been cancelled due to mechanical problems. I am not very optimistic though. I would not be surprised to see a number of the geeps parked immediately after the new engines are approved for revenue service. NJT has history of parking or disposing of equipment, which even though worn out, could still be used, especially in a pinch.

blockline4180

Post by blockline4180 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 am

ApproachMedium wrote:
NJT will likely NOT be replacing ANYTHING with dual modes. The dual modes will come in and fill the gaps for all the power they got rid of in the last few years that should NOT have been.
I hope you are right for the sake of all those people waiting for the train only to hear an announcement that it has been cancelled due to mechanical problems. I am not very optimistic though. I would not be surprised to see a number of the geeps parked immediately after the new engines are approved for revenue service. NJT has history of parking or disposing of equipment, which even though worn out, could still be used, especially in a pinch.
[/quote]

Eurostar,

With Ray as VP of operations, I truly doubt the existing geeps will be parked after the duals arrive, unless there is a major failure with one.. In fact there are a few real railroaders who are high up in the ranks, and not just Ray..
Additionally, from what I was just told from a yardmaster the 4200's and a few 4100 geeps will continue to be used in revenue even after the tack on order of dual modes arrive... Believe it or not, there are even plans to bring the 4109 back to revenue service, amazingly!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

ApproachMedium

Post by ApproachMedium » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 am

Dual modes may do their thing but they are a huge waste of fuel on smaller sets run on the hoboken side. The GP classics are much better fitted for this duty so they will be retained for such

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”