Railroad Forums 

• Penn Station Emergency Repairs: Trackwork, etc.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1469127  by east point

Is it not true that all track work will be done from CP SD to NYP ?. That includes replacement track and ties, surfacing, More second MT on the route , CAT renewal, and the third rail as well ? Any one know for sure ? Maybe the wye as well ? That may allow MNRR access on the west side route to NYP without any additional work ?
 #1469138  by Railjunkie

Rail has been dropped from CP Empire to Innwod. Ive heard of no plans to replace the wye. The Empire tunnel will have work done I assume ties and rail for sure Possibly third rail and CAT. DV bridge will receive some TLC to clear up the damage from the barge and Sandy.
 #1469141  by Backshophoss

Don't believe that there are plans to extend the wire or 3rd rail from their present end points.
The only working plans for MN access to NY Penn are via the Hellgate route from the New Haven Line.
The rail that was put down will replace what was installed to make the W 30th st branch usable again.
That would include the curved tunnel to Main 2 in NY Penn.
 #1469193  by Backshophoss

It was the Freight and Express Branch of the New York Central,the major yard was at west 30th street,also where the "high line" started to
St Johns place in Manhattan.
The formal branch name was W 30th Street branch.
Amtrak bought the remains of the branch off of Conrail,and rebuilt the branch to access NY Penn after orders to consoladate
into NY Penn station and leave GCT .
 #1469268  by Ridgefielder

And for what it's worth, the New York Central's West 30th Street yard was bought by the State of NY in the 1980's and turned into the LIRR West Side Yard. Going way back, this was the original main line of the Hudson River Rail Road. It was downgraded to a branch after the connection between Spuyten Duyvil and Melrose was built in the 1870's to allow Hudson River trains to access the new Grand Central Depot.
 #1470995  by JamesRR

Just saw Track 18 yesterday - all the rail is pulled up. This is one of the direct-fixation tracks, where the rails are fastened directly to the concrete. It looks like the fasteners are being upgraded but not major concrete work being done.
 #1471041  by MACTRAXX

JRR: Interesting news...Those direct fixation tracks are only about 20 years old - late 90s era. The fasteners - and perhaps the rails - needed to be replaced. What is good is that this may be a quick easy fix as opposed to having to renew the entire track structure...MACTRAXX
 #1471095  by adamj023

Concrete can last for years if made correctly and in the right enviroment. Apparently this was the case here. They likely will do some minor repairs to the concrete if necessary.

Work is coming along and will be going on for awhile to come. Infrastructure projects are constantly going on with no end in sight up and down the Amtrak system.
 #1471099  by JamesRR

Yes - apparently they are removing the old plates, caulking the openings, and drilling new plates/fasteners in to install new rail. Nothing major to the concrete (not the rip-out job on the other tracks).

I actually thought the direct-fixation was done in the mid-80s around the time of the West Side Yard construction - but I could be wrong.
 #1471221  by Backshophoss

Believe the Direct Fixation trackwork was a MTA project done about the time the LIRR West Side Yard was about to go online.
Be grateful they didn't need to rip everything out and start from scratch!
 #1473734  by AlKaLI

Been away for a week so I don't know exactly when they finished but Track 18 is in service.
Yesterday my LIRR train came in on Track 17 and Track 18 was empty. The platform barriers (chain link fencing with tarps to block the view) had been removed.
New rail, clips and fasteners could be seen on Track 18. This morning again my train came in on 17 while 18 was occupied.

With Memorial Day weekend coming up, I was wondering if they would finish repairs as The Cannonball leaves Friday afternoons from either 18 or 19 due to the wider platform.
Time to bring on the masses for Points East!
 #1473739  by adamj023

The station seems a lot more reliable for trains now with the work in progress still. No noteable incidents as of late. More work still in progress including the replacement of third turnout and then the Empire Connection and another track replacement used by LIRR.
 #1476708  by adamj023

AlKaLI wrote:Track 19 has chain link barriers on the platform. Will see if repairs have started on this Track as well. I believe this also is direct fixation. Hopefully won't take long.
Track 19 is scheduled from June 8th to July 20th from what I read so it should have started already. Three turnouts are being done as well as wood tie replacements from what I have heard.

2019 should be a much smoother and less disruptive year for train travelers hopefully.